Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Spell Casting Clarification

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jandolar wrote:The magic aspect is a tad confusing (I'm very glad the GM is rolling/figuring/deciding on the dice). I feel like I did when learning the THAC0 thing years ago. Eventually it'll make sense. :D
I'm probably making it sound more complicated than it actually is!
JoeCarr28 wrote:Target % = base skill + relevant ability bonus + situational modifiers
So the same core mechanic above applies to spell casting as everthing else, i.e.:

Target percentage for successfully casting a spell = base casting skill + relevant ability bonus (INT for a Magic-User spell, WIS for a Cleric spell) + spell difficulty modifier (-10% for a 1st level spell, -20% for a 2nd level spell, etc.)

That's it. There's nothing more complicated.

The effects of any spell are then exactly as described in the Basic Fantasy core rulebook. If the spell allows the target a saving throw, then the most appropriate BFQ Ability Skill (Reasoning, Intuition, etc.) is used (again using the core mechanic above).
Woe wrote:Also unclear: do targets of magic missile get a resistance check? There's no saving throw in the regular game so I'd say 'no' but as mentioned, it's a tad confusing.
No saving throw in the core rulebook => no saving throw (ability roll) in BFQ.
Jandolar

Re: Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

Post by Jandolar »

Woe wrote:She's a bit like that. Her low CHA isn't because her looks (because she's kinda hot), but because of personality. She's irritable, moody, insensitive, you get the idea. You can come up with your own reasons you hang out with her. Maybe it's because she's not very aware of the fact that when she goes to the pub, you put your pints on her tab. :shock:
As long as I drink for free.... :lol:
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'd say the roughest part I had was the character creation. Combat was very straightforward and most of the conversion was +1 -> +5% to convert between the two systems.

And yep, I'd be up for more.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

I'd definitely be up for some more.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Me too.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

I'm in for another run. I'd like to see how we mesh/conflict when in a group.

Count me in!

edit: I do have some issues with advancement. If I'd better read, or better understood the % progression with skills=level/hit dice progression I'd have chosen better. Still my fault for not understanding but had I known I'd have been a much different dwarf. It was a learning experience for sure.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Post by Woe »

I have a suggestion: much like the weapons are broken out as ranged and melee, why not do the same for divine and arcane? My ability to (occasionally) channel arcane powers to throw lightning shouldn't affect my ability to summon my god's avatar.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Woe wrote:I have a suggestion: much like the weapons are broken out as ranged and melee, why not do the same for divine and arcane? My ability to (occasionally) channel arcane powers to throw lightning shouldn't affect my ability to summon my god's avatar.
OK, let's give that a whirl for the next playtest. Details to follow.
Jandolar wrote: I do have some issues with advancement. If I'd better read, or better understood the % progression with skills=level/hit dice progression I'd have chosen better. Still my fault for not understanding but had I known I'd have been a much different dwarf. It was a learning experience for sure.
I've no problem with anyone re-doing their character in light of what they've learned from the first playtest. Let me know if you'd like to do this and we'll work out the details.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The updates to the supplement are pretty much complete.

Woe, Jandolar and jcm - please can you let me know how you'd like to be credited in the Acknowledgements section, i.e. your forum name or your real name.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Forum name will do, thanks. :)