Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

Post by JoeCarr28 »

As this is a playtest, please use this topic for all comments, questions, suggestions, typos, etc. relating to the Basic Fantasy Questing supplement.
Jandolar

Re: Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

Post by Jandolar »

Page 10 under "Thief Skills", subtext states "For classless characters Open Locks/Remove Traps and Move Silently/Hide are treated as a single combined skill".

OL/RT uses (intelligence+dexterity)% while MS/H uses (wisdom+dexterity)%

Which two abilities do we use when these are a combined skill? We don't use all three (int/wis/dex) do we?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
JoeCarr28

Rule Clarification - Thief Skills for Classless Characters

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jandolar wrote:Page 10 under "Thief Skills", subtext states "For classless characters Open Locks/Remove Traps and Move Silently/Hide are treated as a single combined skill".

OL/RT uses (intelligence+dexterity)% while MS/H uses (wisdom+dexterity)%

Which two abilities do we use when these are a combined skill? We don't use all three (int/wis/dex) do we?
Yeah, I can see how this could be made clearer.

Standard Basic Fantasy has seven Thief abilities - Open Locks, Remove Traps, Pick Pockets, Move Silently, Climb Walls, Hide and Listen.

In Basic Fantasy Questing, this number is reduced to five: Open Locks/Remove Traps (let's call it 'Mechanisms' for clarity), Pick Pockets, Move Silently/Hide (let's call it 'Stealth' for clarity), Climb Walls and Listen. So the starting percentages are:

Mechanisms: (INT + DEX)%
Pick Pockets: (DEX + CHA)%
Stealth: (WIS + DEX)%
Climb Walls: (STR+DEX)%
Listen: 17%.
JoeCarr28

Rule Clarification - Cleric Spells and Magic-User Spells

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jandolar wrote:One question though. Since clerical spells are not "memorized" and are instead "prayed for" do I have to write down the 5 levels (3 as a starting classless character and 2 for my wisdom bonus) of spells that I start with or can I decide what spells I want during my morning prayers?
In Basic Fantasy Questing there is no major distinction between Cleric spells and Magic-User spells. Treat the spell list in the Basic Fantasy core rulebook as a single menu from which you can mix and match. So, for example, it is entirely possible that a starting character might have both Magic Missile and Cure Light Wounds. I need to make this clearer in the supplement.

The only distinction between the two types of spells is that characters apply their Intelligence ability bonus to their casting skill target percentage when attempting to cast a Magic-User spell, and their Wisdom bonus when attempting to cast a Cleric spell.

Also, characters do not need to pray for or memorise their spells. They always have their spells to hand and the only limitations on their ability to cast them are their casting skill and their reserve of magic points. Additional spells, beyond those a character starts with, are typically acquired through training.
JoeCarr28

Re: Feedback on Targus

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jandolar wrote:So far this is what I have. I'll fill out more once I know if we can roll for starting money and I can buy a few odds and ends that I want.

Name:Targus
Race:Dwarf

STR:12
INT: 14
WIS:16
DEX: 8
CON:10
CHA: 6

HP:27 (5d6)
MP:12 (5d3)
AC:14

----------

SKILLS (Starting percentages shown in brackets)

Ability Skills
Force (STR x 2)%: 24%
Reasoning (INT x 2)%: (28%)+20% for being a dwarf= 48%
Intuition (WIS x 2)%: (32%)+20% fore being a dwarf= 52%
Agility (DEX x 2)%: 16%
Toughness (CON x 2)%: (20%) +20% for being a dwarf= 40%
Influence (CHA x 2)%: 12%

Attack Skills
Melee Weapons (STR x 2)%: (24%)+ 15% from the 50% that new characters are allowed to distribute among skills= 49%
Missile Weapons (DEX x 2)%: 16%

Casting Skill (INT + WIS)% (30%)+ 35% from the 50% that new characters are allowed to distribute among skills= 65%

Turn Undead Skill (WIS x 2)%: 32%

Thief Skills
Open Locks / Remove Traps (INT + DEX)%: 22%
Pick Pockets (DEX + CHA)%: 14%
Move Silently / Hide (WIS + DEX)%: 24%
Climb Walls (STR + DEX)%: 20%
Listen (17%): 17%

----------

Equipment
Leather Armor (AC 13)
Shield (AC+1)
Battle Axe (dmg 1d8)
Heavy Xbow and 20 quarrels (dmg 1d8)

Encumbrance: Light
Movement: 30'
Looks good!

A few comments:

1. Targus's highest skill is Casting at 65%. Therefore, from the table on Page 10 of the supplement, his/her hit dice will be 4d6 rather than the 5d6 you've used. When Targus's casting skill rises to 68% they will gain an extra hit die.

2. Similarly from the table on page 9 of the supplement, Targus's starting magic points will be 4d3.

3. On the character sheet, don't add the racial bonuses to the base ability skills. These are applied in play. It makes a difference for a couple of reasons. Firstly, skill improvement rolls are performed against the base skill; therefore it's in your interest to use the lower value (it's easier to increase a lower skill than a higher one). Secondly, for a dwarf the Reasoning and Intuition bonuses only apply to resisting the effects of magic. There will be other non-magic resisting instances in which you might need to make a Reasoning or Intuition skill roll, and in these instances the racial bonuses would not apply.

Incidentally, we've yet to decide how we are going to do the dice rolling in this game. Play-by-post convention is usually either that the GM performs all the rolls, or that we use some sort of online roll verification tool (e.g. http://dice.evildm.net, or perhaps Roll20). As a GM I have no preference - it's up to you guys and how you want to play the game. Either way, you'll need to re-roll your HP and MP using one of these two methods.
Jandolar

Re: Feedback on Targus

Post by Jandolar »

JoeCarr28 wrote:
Jandolar wrote:So far this is what I have. I'll fill out more once I know if we can roll for starting money and I can buy a few odds and ends that I want.

Name:Targus
Race:Dwarf

STR:12
INT: 14
WIS:16
DEX: 8
CON:10
CHA: 6

HP: 20 (rolled using the link provided)
MP: 10 (rolled using the link provided)
AC:14

----------

SKILLS (Starting percentages shown in brackets)

Ability Skills
Force (STR x 2)%: 24%
Reasoning (INT x 2)%: 28%
Intuition (WIS x 2)%: 32%
Agility (DEX x 2)%: 16%
Toughness (CON x 2)%: 20%
Influence (CHA x 2)%: 12%

Attack Skills
Melee Weapons (STR x 2)%: 49%
Missile Weapons (DEX x 2)%: 16%

Casting Skill (INT + WIS)%: 65%

Turn Undead Skill (WIS x 2)%: 32%

Thief Skills
Open Locks / Remove Traps (INT + DEX)%: 22%
Pick Pockets (DEX + CHA)%: 14%
Move Silently / Hide (WIS + DEX)%: 24%
Climb Walls (STR + DEX)%: 20%
Listen (17%): 17%

----------

Equipment
Leather Armor (AC 13)
Shield (AC+1)
Battle Axe (dmg 1d8)
Heavy Xbow and 20 quarrels (dmg 1d8)

Encumbrance: Light
Movement: 30'
Incidentally, we've yet to decide how we are going to do the dice rolling in this game. Play-by-post convention is usually either that the GM performs all the rolls, or that we use some sort of online roll verification tool (e.g. http://dice.evildm.net, or perhaps Roll20). As a GM I have no preference - it's up to you guys and how you want to play the game. Either way, you'll need to re-roll your HP and MP using one of these two methods.
I'm good either way. I hit the link you provided and re-rolled HP and MP. If you want to do the dice rolling I'm ok with it.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
JoeCarr28

EvilDM Dice Server

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jandolar wrote:I'm good either way. I hit the link you provided and re-rolled HP and MP. If you want to do the dice rolling I'm ok with it.
If you use EvilDM, put 'joecarr28@ymail.com' in the "E-mail the results to" field. That's the easiest way for me to verify rolls.
JoeCarr28

Starting Magic Points

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Blazeguard on EvilDM Dice Server wrote:Comments: Rolling for MP again. Still a little confused on how to calculate MP. Do I just use my highest base skill or is it the actual Casting Skill that I use? And if it's less than the 55% that's shown on the table do I still use the 1d3?
Yes, sorry, this was already on my list of things to clarify for Release 3.

- Magic Points are determined by the Casting skill, not the highest base skill.

- If the Casting is less than 55% you do still get 1d3 magic points.

At least EvilDM is working well :) . Looking at the logs, it says you rolled 4d6+6 for Filibert's hit points. This should be 5d6+5. The 5d6 comes from his highest skill of 68% (table on page 10 of supplement). The +5 comes from the +1 CON bonus for each hit die.
JoeCarr28

Starting Spells

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jandolar wrote:Spells
Cure Light Wounds (twice)
Hold Person
Fireball
Sleep
Web
There still seems to be some confusion over starting spells. Let me see if I can explain it a bit better ...

When using the BFQ "classless characters" optional rules, magic becomes much more common than in standard Basic Fantasy. All characters start knowing some spells. They start with 3 levels worth of spells, plus one extra levels worth for whichever is the higher of their INT and WIS bonus. So, since Targus has a +2 WIS bonus, he will start with 5 levels worth of spells (where a 1st level spell is 1 levels worth, a 2nd level spell is 2 levels worth, etc.).

At the moment his character sheet shows: Cure Light Wounds (1st level, 1 levels worth); Hold Person (2nd level, 2 levels worth); Fireball (3rd level, 3 levels worth); Sleep (1st level, 1 levels worth); and Web (2nd level, 2 levels worth). So he has 1 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 9 levels worth, which is too many. You need to lose a few so he only has 5 levels worth.

I think the Magic Points are causing the confusion. These have nothing to do with the number of spells a given character knows. These are simply the magical reserves that the character has available for casting the spells. So with 10 magic points, Targus could cast Cure Light Wounds (a 1st level spell costing 1 MP) ten times. Or Web (a 2nd level spell costing 2 MP) five times. Or any combination thereof until all his magic points were depleted.

Make sense?
Blazeguard

Re: Starting Magic Points

Post by Blazeguard »

JoeCarr28 wrote:At least EvilDM is working well :) . Looking at the logs, it says you rolled 4d6+6 for Filibert's hit points. This should be 5d6+5. The 5d6 comes from his highest skill of 68% (table on page 10 of supplement). The +5 comes from the +1 CON bonus for each hit die.
I forgot about the CON bonus but I did 4d6+6 cause you said we could take the maximum 6 for our first hit die. Should I roll again?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.