Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Re: Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

Post by JoeCarr28 »

jcm wrote:When I download and open the supplement PDF there isn't any text, just black boxes. It looks like a heavily-redacted document. Pictures are fine though. No problems with the .docx either. I'm on a Mac, if that helps.
Hmmm, that's strange. Anyone else with this problem? Did you have this problem with Release 2, or is it just with the new Release 3?

It works fine on my PC and on my Android tablet, so it might be a Mac thing. I've added an "ISO 19005-1 compliant" pdf (whatever that is :? ) to the download page, so give that a try. Otherwise, as I'm not a pdf expert, I'm rather stuck. I've been creating the pdf directly from Microsoft Word. Anyone with any suggestions?
JoeCarr28

Skill Caps

Post by JoeCarr28 »

jcm wrote:How would you handle players who try to get their characters to be good at everything? Will there be skill caps?
The six ability skills (Force, Reasoning, Perception, ... etc.) are capped at five times the character's relevant ability score (page 4 of the BFQ supplement). So, for example, a character with a Strength of 10 can never raise their Force ability skill above 50%.

The other skills (weapons, casting, thief, cleric) aren't capped, but given that a given skill can only increase 1% - 4% per adventure, and that it becomes progressively harder to make skill improvement rolls as you get better at a skill, I don't think this will be a major problem. It will take any character a long, long time to reach a high level of proficiency in every skill, in which case they've probably earned it.
jcm

Post by jcm »

The compliant PDF works for me. :)
JoeCarr28 wrote: The six ability skills (Force, Reasoning, Perception, ... etc.) are capped at five times the character's relevant ability score...

The other skills ... can only increase 1% - 4% per adventure, and that it becomes progressively harder to make skill improvement rolls as you get better at a skill, I don't think this will be a major problem. It will take any character a long, long time to reach a high level of proficiency in every skill, in which case they've probably earned it.
An elegant algorithm!
Woe

Post by Woe »

JoeCarr28 wrote: Hmmm, that's strange. Anyone else with this problem? Did you have this problem with Release 2, or is it just with the new Release 3?
Worked fine on my PC. I actually thought to myself, "the print looks better than the first version." I'm not sure why or what you did, but thought it was better organized.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot