Out-of-Character Chat

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Re: Out-of-Character Chat

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Good stuff. Let's aim to kick the first playtest off on Monday.

aPretzel - how are you getting along? Can I help you with anything?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

... and Marcus's starting points:

Marcus: highest skill is casting at 62% => 3 hit dice and 3 magic dice. +1 CON bonus on hit dice; +2 INT bonus to magic dice. HP = 12; MP = 12.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

JoeCarr28 wrote:So ... those hit points and magic points:

Targus: highest skill is casting at 68% => 5 hit dice and 5 magic dice. No CON bonus on hit dice; +2 WIS bonus to magic dice. HP = 17; MP = 21.
That's a lot of magic points. Basically, if I'm reading that correctly, Targus can cast a 1st level spell (lets say Magic Missile) 21 times before he has to have 6 hours of sleep to recover the magic points?

Oh and how do you go about getting more spells? Does that happen when you level up (aka add percentiles to a skill to bring it up)?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
jcm

Post by jcm »

JoeCarr28 wrote:... and Marcus's starting points:
Got it!
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jandolar wrote:
JoeCarr28 wrote:So ... those hit points and magic points:

Targus: highest skill is casting at 68% => 5 hit dice and 5 magic dice. No CON bonus on hit dice; +2 WIS bonus to magic dice. HP = 17; MP = 21.
That's a lot of magic points. Basically, if I'm reading that correctly, Targus can cast a 1st level spell (lets say Magic Missile) 21 times before he has to have 6 hours of sleep to recover the magic points?

Oh and how do you go about getting more spells? Does that happen when you level up (aka add percentiles to a skill to bring it up)?
Yes, maybe that will be something I have to tweak. With Targus, the WIS bonus makes a big difference. I normally insist on 3d6 in order for ability scores, so an INT or WIS of 16+ will be quite rare.

If you crunch the numbers you find that BFQ spell-casters are generally better off at low levels, but most standard Basic Fantasy spell-casters will overtake them at higher levels.

Also, MPs are consumed (albeit at half-cost) for unsuccessfully cast spells, and that the MP costs scale with spell level.

Let's leave things how they are for the first playtest and see how it goes. I've got a feeling it won't be as game-breaking as it at first appears.

Extra spells are gained through between-adventure training. I'm thinking 100 gp per level of spell learned, or something like that.
jcm

Post by jcm »

We're starting! I think now would be a good time for me to read the other supplement...
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

JoeCarr28 wrote:
Yes, maybe that will be something I have to tweak. With Targus, the WIS bonus makes a big difference. I normally insist on 3d6 in order for ability scores, so an INT or WIS of 16+ will be quite rare.
If you feel Targus is top heavy I'm all for you re-rolling his stats and I'll put the numbers you assign down. I'm good either way as long as I get to play.
JoeCarr28 wrote:Extra spells are gained through between-adventure training. I'm thinking 100 gp per level of spell learned, or something like that.
So if after adventuring I end up with 1000gp does that mean I can "buy, or pay for" an additional 10 levels of spells via training or do I pick spells (I.E. Raise Dead Clr5 and Teleport MU5) and pay 500gp per spell chosen?

Sorry for all the questions.... :oops:
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

jcm wrote:We're starting! I think now would be a good time for me to read the other supplement...

To quote a favorite movie line of mine "Come on little brother, it's beginning." YAY!!!
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Hey folks this may sound like an odd request. Since we're slated to all be from the same area and have known each other since child hood maybe we could all post up a description of our characters? Height, approx weight, etc? I mean I have no idea what any of your characters even look like. We don't have a background on any of us so that others know *something* of what/who we are.

I'll start.

Targus arrived at Apple Lane as an infant. Found on the road by a traveling merchant. The merchant, having no idea what to do with an infant dwarf and having no idea what it's name might be (since the baby was found hidden under the seat of a destroyed wagon with several dwarven corpses around it) called it Targus, a name that just "came to mind for a dwarf". Targus having grown around humans realized early on that he'd never be very tall, or very handsome but he was strong and had a great center of gravity while wrestling. As time passed he grew to be almost 5 feet tall and weighed nearly 150lbs with coal black hair and a beard which he braided into two fine plaits that run down his chest to his belt. His black eyes are merry and light while he laughs but turn deep when he's in thought or aggravated. Easy to smile and fond of both laughter and beer he looks at life as the humans do, "life is short, might as well enjoy it" is a favorite phrase. Since he has no dwarven family and the humans, although kind, are rather indifferent to him he tends to be closer to other races than humans or dwarves.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
jcm

Post by jcm »

Sounds good. Is that a quote from 'The 13th Warrior'?