General Art Discussion

This forum is for requesting, submitting, and discussing artwork for the project.
Shonuff

General Art Discussion

Post by Shonuff »

Uh....Uh....to discuss...art....Generally...
SmootRK

Re: General Art Discussion

Post by SmootRK »

Perhaps some guidelines for art can be suggested (but probably loosely enforced).

certain size
certain formats
generally B&W or easily converted without loss of quality, for use in most document interiors.
color artwork for covers, special situations, etc. use XXXX format. ??
layers, filters, etc. so that it can be further manipulated??

I am no expert in these matters.. just trying to get the ball rolling with ideas. You (Shonuff) set the parameters.

Perhaps some sort of "legalese" be discussed. To the effect of "submission on these forums = explicit permission to use/reuse in BFRPG related projects by the site management/owner or BFRPG community at large" basically something that keeps us from having to seek out artists in the far future to provide permissions. If they submit it, we can use it. People sharing here are doing just that... sharing for world. By all means, sign and get credit for it, but let the world see and use the images.
Again, I am no expert on matters. I just don't want excessive jumping through hoops when trying to use an old image in the event the artist falls off the bfrpg forums.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

SmootRK wrote:Perhaps some guidelines for art can be suggested (but probably loosely enforced).

certain size
certain formats
generally B&W or easily converted without loss of quality, for use in most document interiors.
color artwork for covers, special situations, etc. use XXXX format. ??
layers, filters, etc. so that it can be further manipulated??

I am no expert in these matters.. just trying to get the ball rolling with ideas. You (Shonuff) set the parameters.

Perhaps some sort of "legalese" be discussed. To the effect of "submission on these forums = explicit permission to use/reuse in BFRPG related projects by the site management/owner or BFRPG community at large" basically something that keeps us from having to seek out artists in the far future to provide permissions. If they submit it, we can use it. People sharing here are doing just that... sharing for world. By all means, sign and get credit for it, but let the world see and use the images.
Again, I am no expert on matters. I just don't want excessive jumping through hoops when trying to use an old image in the event the artist falls off the bfrpg forums.
Cool. ill add it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

No stealing of art from other sources to be submitted here...

Though, exception for Vintage or Out of Copyright (old) artwork is OK. If you find something really good that works well for BFRPG projects, that is OK. But no clip-art stuff. That stuff is often free for personal use, but often still includes clauses that preclude other forms of re-use. While BFRPG is free or at-cost printing, Lulu is still a commercial enterprise and thus we cannot use art that is verboten in such ways.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:generally B&W or easily converted without loss of quality, for use in most document interiors.
Be careful asking for black and white.

Images scanned from a drawing in "black and white" render each and every pixel as BLACK or WHITE. If you think the artist might be scanning the picture, ask for "grayscale."

If the artist is not technical enough to work it out, you can convert the image to grayscale, then apply a light blur to it. This removes the harsh pixelization from the image. However, it always works better to start with a grayscale scan.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Thats actually good to know...
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

This Art subforum is really starting to take shape. Good work, Shonuf.
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Thanks man.
I got a bunch of side projects i'm doing for myself and others, so my time is split sorta this week,

i got two guys at work (one you've seen art from) Andy, who are doing some work.

I got Smokestack kicking out art

Artkid is here cranking some out.

yeah I can't wait till you have a dozen or so artists throwing art your way.

Thanks for the compliment on the forum tho. Good ideas come from great men. it was your idea. :P)
LibraryLass

Re: Art Requests

Post by LibraryLass »

I'm not currently making anything that needs illustration-- at least I don't think I am. But if I do make something where illustrations with characters in them are called for, I want to see serious, capable-looking female adventurers in it. This is a big deal for me personally, as I'm sure you can imagine.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Art Requests

Post by Solomoriah »

I, personally, understand. I have a daughter.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org