Roll With It - Flex GM PbP

This forum is for the rotating GM campaign started by Joe the Rat.

Moderator: Joe the Rat

Hywaywolf

Re: Roll With It - Flex GM PbP

Post by Hywaywolf »

So who's in for this PBP? (perhaps you can add/update this to the 1st post as well)

GM-

Players:
Hywaywolf
jcm

Post by jcm »

Me.

GM-

Players:
Hywaywolf
jcm
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Me three.

GM-

Players:
Hywaywolf
jcm
Blazeguard
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Added myself. We can figure out a starting GM once we get the rest settled.

Anything on classes? Is anyone dying for something outside of core four?
Go with a smile!
jcm

Post by jcm »

I'm okay with core classes. I thought you were GMing first? :D
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I'm happy to saddle up if nobody else wants to.

But since we're setting up to be able to switch drivers, I might as well list myself as a player as well. 8-)
Go with a smile!
jcm

Post by jcm »

Status?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Waiting on class feedback. This is one that I really want to get settled before we start putting together. See, we could just start with the basics, and add extras as we move along, but that pretty much says "you will want to change your character at the next shift change," which sort of defeats the continuity concept.

Personally, I'd love to go the Quasi-class route for things like barbarians, bards, and such. Problem is, there aren't Q-class options to cover all of the alternates - rangers, for instance. My solution for that would be to play with Backgrounds and Specialties to try and pick up the difference. Fighter + "tracker" background + (lightly armored OR dead eye OR two-weapon fighting) = pretty close to what a ranger does. Do the same from thief, you've got a Scout. The specialties side doesn't kick in until level 3, so that bridge would still be ahead of us.

Okay, so I guess my first question is: Do we want to set everything now, or vote on individual classes as they're brought up?
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I am not a fan of the quasi classes. The gains aren't worth what you have to give up to get them so, lacking any other choice of class supplement, I would rather just play a BTB character and make him what I want him to be either just by actual play or by using backgrounds and specialties.

Personally the way I think this should go is that whoever is volunteering to DM first should get the chance to set the direction of the game. Post a list of houserules and supplements you want to use and the rest of us just vote yes/no (without anymore discussion). The ones that get a majority vote stay in and the others we discuss further or choose an alternate supplement. That we we all get a say, but the DM still gets to flavor it his way.

Remember, this wasn't set up to just switch out DMs randomly. This was done to try to alleviate the problem of having a gaming group/campaign break up just because the DM had to quit. So perhaps we should also decide on the order of DM succession now rather than later when any delay might cause people to just fade away. Joe the Rat first and then if someone wants to be 2nd they can volunteer now. Or we can number the player list and let Joe roll initiative for all of us lol. High Init is up first. Then with the list if the next up has left the game or doesn't have time, the next one on the list takes over. He/she lists any changes they want to make, the remaining group votes on it and we go with majority rules. No muss no fuss and we just keep on trucking.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Sounds like an interesting game concept.

Referring to Joe's reference to quasi-classes, I wanted to figure out some way to Ranger-ize classes, but could not figure out something that really pulled together across all the base classes. Adding ranger-like stuff to fighter or thief is pretty straightforward (getting something akin to a Scout in the case of thief), but what about clerics & mu? The archetype does not fit exactly upon those classes. Druid has its own particular niche, and sort of confuses the process.

Perhaps I should revisit the idea, and give it additional thought (having had a small flash of inspiration to test out)... perhaps calling it "Guardian Quasi-Class" focusing on the Chosen Enemy aspect (and perhaps a bit with outdoors stealth), rather than the woodsy part directly. So, getting something along these line:
Fighter + Guardian = Ranger-ish
Thief + Guardian = Scout (sort of), or perhaps a sort of Bounty Hunter kind of Thief.
MU + Guardian = Wilderness Mage, Hermit Mage, or something akin to that.
Cleric + Guardian = Temple Defender, Heretic Hunter, etc.
Druid + Guardian = Ranger/Druid, or an idea I remember from an old Dragon Magazine (Paladin variants, Paramander and Paramandyr. Neutral Paladin types taking powers from druid, one striving for balance in a generally peaceable manner, the other striking out at extremes to re-establish balance in a more militant way (Paramandyr))

But I obviously digress from this thread... will move my thinking process over to another spot.
Continue on...
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?