Hackmaster Combat System

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
shadowmane

Hackmaster Combat System

Post by shadowmane »

Has anyone looked at the Hackmaster combat system in their new version of the game? Basically, instead of being turn based, the GM starts a count, and each action has a certain cost in seconds. It seems like a very fluid system, and would enhance combat. It seems like more realistic combat than the turn based system.
Dimirag

Re: Hackmaster Combat System

Post by Dimirag »

I have the book. Never really like second by second combat track. To me its slower and more number crunching than the standard method
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

I downloaded the free basic book, and watched a few videos outlining how it worked. I also read the little publication they put out using the KODT characters on it. I really liked it. The fluidity of it is appealing. X amount of seconds until you can pull of a movement. You can change actions in the middle of the action, and stuff like that. Dunno. Seeing that and thinking about the 6 second "round" makes it seem more appealing.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I haven't watch the videos. Its not my type of round managing... feel free to try it for bfrpg or use any alternate take and post any reault
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I think you'll want to go with a fixed time for spellcasting. Keep it simple. I'm split on weapons. On the one hand, smaller is faster. But bigger should give you more reach - a chance to hit first. Mmmm, okay - smaller is faster, but on a tied count, the larger weapon goes first.

You could probably crib their weapon speeds, or do a simple translation of weapon size to weapon speed. 3 for Small, 5 for Medium, 8 for Large - or whatever is appropriate (It's been a little while). If you want to push heroics, say blades are a count or so faster than axes and bludgeons. I would make crossbow fast for aim and fire, but spend a ton of time on reload.

Movement: Again, it's been a while for me. You either treat 10/20/30/40 as your five second speed (half a round, leaving the other half for your "action" - or more running), or it's your 'move and do' speed - you can move that fast while engaging in other actions, or forgo action to move double speed.
Go with a smile!
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Movement: Are you thinking of the old rules for HackMaster 4E, or the rules from the new system? I noticed they have special rules for movement anyway.

On attacks, there is a few seconds for "recovery" after making a swing with the weapon. Though in real life, it only takes about a second at most to go from a forward swing to a back swing with a baton, and a sword isn't that much different from a baton (yes, I'm bringing personal training into this). It creates a more fluid, realistic fighting system. I'm still not fully up on it, but after reading through the combat chapter a couple times, I think I have a better handle on it now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've run second-by-second combat, in spy games. It works well there... but all you're dealing with is guns and knives and martial arts. Might be more of a hassle with the fantasy elements added in.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Well, I believe the combat system was taken from their "Aces and Eights" rpg, which is based on the Westerns of the 50's and 60's.
mhensley

Post by mhensley »

I've run and played in several HM5 games. The combat system works pretty well but is overly complex and too slow for my tastes. Tracking combat second by second is far too fiddly for me.
Mike