Magic-User Spell Acquisition

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
JoeCarr28

Magic-User Spell Acquisition

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Page 139 of the rulebook, two sequential paragraphs on Magic-User spell acquisition:

"As previously described, Magic-Users may learn spells by being taught by another Magic-User, or by studying another Magic-User's spellbook. If being taught, a spell can be learned in a single day; researching another Magic-User's spellbook takes one day per spell level. In either case, the spell learned must be transcribed into the Magic-User's own spellbook, at a cost of 500 gp per spell level transcribed.

A Magic-User may add a new spell of any level he or she may cast at any point; however, spells of higher levels may not be learned or added to the Magic-User's spellbook. The Magic-User must find a teacher or acquire a reference work (such as another Magic-User's spellbook) in order to learn new spells, and the cost of such is in addition to the costs given above. Often a Magic-User will maintain a relationship with his or her original master, who will teach the character new spells either for free or in return for services. Sometimes two Magic-Users will agree to exchange known spells. However, in many cases the only option available to a Magic-User will be to pay another Magic-User (often an NPC) anywhere from 100 gp to 1000 gp per spell level in return for such training.
"

It's not completely clear to me how these two paragraphs relate.

Is the first paragraph saying that the cost of transcription (i.e. the materials associated with physically writing down the spell) is 500 gp per spell level?

Is the second paragraph saying that the cost of the training (i.e. the process of learning the spell) is 100 gp - 1000 gp?

So, is the total cost of acquiring a new spell in a Magic-User's spell book the sum of these two amounts?

Or have I misunderstood?
Dimirag

Re: Magic-User Spell Acquisition

Post by Dimirag »

The first paragraph gives the learning time and cost via teaching or research. The second one gives the spell level limit and the cost for hireing a tutor so he can teach you the spell or lend you a copy of it.
So, if you have a tutor or a friend willing to teach you only pay the spell cost. If you found a spell you must reasearch and pay the spell cost. But if you need the spell from someone else you must employ him and so paying both the spell and tutoring/loaning price
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Thanks Dimirag, that makes sense :) .

So if you have ready access to the spell by some means, you just pay the 500 gp per spell level.

If you need to acquire access to the spell, you also pay the 100 - 1000 gp per spell level in addition to the 500 gp per spell level.

Right?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Exactly. A mu's teacher gives you the spell and teaches you for free. Others will have their own cost...
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I put down some slightly adjusted Research Rules in the Libram Magica supplement.

Spell costs are a very good reason that the intelligent MU sorts would probably form magical guilds/college (or covens, schools, cabals, etc) so that the costs of research can be reduced, assistance given/taken, and materials (including spell formulas) might be shared. It would be rather counter-intuitive for MU to be reclusive from other MU, especially during their earlier years when they need to acquire such info. From the GM perspective, a player who would participate in their guild would get additional means (and discounts) to research and scribing costs... and it is great for providing adventure hooks.

Welcome to Hogwarts!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

A guilds/church/schools supplement would be awesome. It can give ideas and base rules for costs and benefits and other things
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:A guilds/church/schools supplement would be awesome. It can give ideas and base rules for costs and benefits and other things
Indeed. Ideas for supplements have been springing up here and there. I just commented to MedievalMan that an "all things Dragon" supplement would be cool. A Booze Supplement. Magic User Guilds/Colleges. and more come to mind in recent days around here. If only I had more time and creative energy these days. :?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Yes. A ser of bfrpg presents kind of supplements would be awesome. Once I have a functional pc I'll try to give other things that loose ideas and extra classes.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

I wish I had half the creative zeal I had only a year ago. An all things dragon and an all things guilds/temples/universities would be fun to work on.

Wonder whats wrong with my creative mojo these days...
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mine is a time issue. I've got one project line (the Emporium materials), two roughs on split-offs, and only one up into the Workshop. I simply don't have the time blocks I need to focus on recutting and editing.

More on topic, the Wizard College (Ars Magica having a very good model) is in contrast to the Jealous Recluse. In the latter, spells aren't knowledge, they are power. They will hoard what they have, acquire apprentices as needed, and delve and rob and pact and occasionally trade to get all they can.

Look at it this way: Colleges (and Guilds) are about teaching and training, but they keep their knowledge from outsiders. Recluse wizards keep their knowledge from each other. I suppose you could try to balance some of the different training methods - trading one cost for another. Colleges have the lowest research cost, but have some sort of dues/overhead, and you may be expected to perform tasks for the college, share what you discover, and take on an apprentice. Independent wizards have to learn everything the hard way, but have fewest obligations. Occultists can learn from all manner of supernatural sources, but may have required tasks, plus the material costs of the rituals... and necessary sacrifices... to learn their magics. And so on.

A book on making organizations (Temple, College, Guild) would be cool.
Go with a smile!