Quiet around here.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
hjmartin70

Re: Quiet around here.

Post by hjmartin70 »

I have about a dozen of older Dungeon mag's and they are great sources of side adventures. Not every adventure in Dungeon was great, but there is always plenty of good ideas to mine for your campaign. Also, good maps.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have used many bits and pieces from various Dungeon (and the older Dragon magazine) adventures. If we take a few of the concepts and give them a refresher, with different critters or antagonists, re-arrange maps, and otherwise make them 'different', then I think we can bring together several 'module' offerings for the BFRPG crowd.

Like most things, when new stuff appears there is a renewed 'buzz' about the game. It has been a few months since anything has been offered, and I just want to see some stuff appear soon. I have 2 viable supplements in limbo, only waiting for 'official' layout stuff done, but I want to give others some ideas for material that they can easily bring to bear quickly.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

I would not try to file off the serial numbers of someone else's published material. Too much chance of causing negative fallout for BFRPG. It is easy enough to come up with original, if not ground-breaking material.

Setting - Any habitable zone with swamps nearby
Synopsis - Undead are emerging from the swamps and attacking nearby farmsteads, root out the evil before it overwhelms the good people of <insert town name here>
A witch (deranged female druid) accidentally released an ancient evil from its bonds while exploring a ruined temple in the swamp. She survived and still lives in the swamp in her fetid hut.
Depending on level the ancient evil could be a ghoul, or ghast or wight or whatever. Zombies and skeletons and swamp horror oh my!

See the concept is the easy part. The details (the part that has to be changed anyway to avoid copyright infringement) that is the hard part. Maps are hard too, but Turgnev at Dragonsfoot has great maps and can be reasoned with about including them in not-for-profit published material.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am not suggesting anything like just 'filing off the serial numbers'; certainly one must apply creative energy to the process, but working from some of the basic premises could be accomplished. After all, we are talking about material that is approximately 20 years old, made for a game or games that are out of print and completely unsupported by the entity that owns them.

Then, there is the option that we could attempt contact with some of the original writers and inquire about their cooperation. I am not sure how all the copyrights work, whether the author owns it or the magazine itself, but it might be worth looking into. Direct ports of material might be possible if the author owns the rights, and allows it to be re-mastered for BFRPG.

Just things to think about.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

So for an adventure idea that I have - I was imagining a sort of homage to Against the Giants/Decent (underdark) sort of line of adventures. Breaking it up into parts, I was thinking of starting with a adventure where the PCs are recruited to investigate the massing of humanoids (undetermined type) in a border region. These humanoids led by several giants (thoughts are for Frost), leading the PCs to an appropriate base. Within the base, clues to further giant involvement - where my thoughts are for a cloud giant sky fortress led by a small group of (bad) storm giants (of course with an appropriately extra powerful storm giant lord). From here I want to lead the characters into a strange environment, perhaps the underdark or perhaps elsewhere -cannot decide yet on antagonist race (needs to be something other than dark elves - ideas welcome). Perhaps instead of heading to the underdark, the characters utilize spelljamming (see under development setting elsewhere) leading them to the major players.

thoughts?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd like to see a good "giants" module, but I'd like to steer a bit further away from a straight homage to the old modules. I'd like to see something more "storybook" (and perhaps a bit more fey).

Also, I'd love to see an adventure involving a dryad where she isn't just set dressing.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Also, I'd love to see an adventure involving a dryad where she isn't just set dressing.
Seconded... I seem to remember a little adventure (more of a side-trek size thing) from one of my Greyhawk supplements where a Dryad's tree was cut down and made into a ship's figurehead sculpture. The inhabitants of the ship had thought their ship to be haunted (the hook for the PCs), when in fact the Dryad had turned mad (and was dying). I modified the adventure so that the players brought the sculpture to a fey wood, where the dryad had ultimately died but was eased by the presence of the other fey. Lots of cutesy fey thanking the characters (multiple girl players in this group, so it went over well).

Anyhow, here's an idea: a Dryad of a massive and long lived tree variety (thinking a redwood type) had entered a dormant state. While in the dormant state (lasting decades) a village/fort was built around the tree. Upon waking and finding the natural state of things destroyed by 'progress' the dryad (who is much more powerful than the normal sort) calls out to various fey to force out the inhabitants. PC's must figure out which side should be assisted. Groups consisting of Elves, Halflings, etc. or those having affinity to the fey might choose the dryad side. Groups with Humans, industrious dwarves, or otherwise siding with the inhabitants might want to exterminate the tree-spirit. Big battles either way. Perhaps there is a third way where balance is achieved... all depends on the PCs and their particular bent.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

and then the quietness returns...

somebody say something! :(
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

something
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

hjmartin70 wrote:something
thanks... but I meant something more substantial :lol: