To Alignment, or Not to Alignment

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Raellus

To Alignment, or Not to Alignment

Post by Raellus »

OK, so I realize that BFRPG doesn't use an alignment system, and I think I understand why. Alignment is more about behavior- what a character says and does, day in and day out- than it is a reflection of a title picked from a list. If a character that claims to be Lawful Good lies, steals, and hurts the helpless, they're probably neither. That said, it seems like a simple alignment system would likely come in handy from time to time.

For instance, how does one determine whether or not a cleric has violated his/her patron deity's precepts or expectations regarding adherents' behavior? It seems to me that an alignment system would help determine what kinds of deeds a particular deity might approve or disapprove of. It would at least provide a framework. Do the GM and the PC just kind of improvise here? Ultimately, the GM is going to have to decide whether or not a player is adhering (or not) to the teachings of a particular deity, but it strikes me as being helpful to have a framework already in place to help the GM to make those determinations. This is starting to get too philosophical. I'm worried that I'm not making sense, here. What would Jesus (or Shiva, or Buddha, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.) do?

Second, in my computer RPG experience, I'm used to finding magical weapons from time to time that can only be used by a particular class, race, or, more often, alignment of character. I don't really get the logic of the first two prerequisites, but the alignment one always made sense to me. A weapon blessed by a Lawful Good deity, for example, should probably only grant bonuses (or be used at all) by a character that is at least "good", no?

I'm considering including some simple house rules regarding alignment in my BFRPG PbP, but I don't want to over complicate things for myself or for my players. On the other hand, I think a basic mechanic would help a little bit. At this point, I'm still not sure what to do.

How do you experienced BFRPG'ers handle these sorts of issues?
LibraryLass

Re: To Alignment, or Not to Alignment

Post by LibraryLass »

Now, while I'm a proponent of alignment myself, I'll be happy to answer your questions, 'cause in my opinion they're worth answering even if you do use alignment.
Raellus wrote:For instance, how does one determine whether or not a cleric has violated his/her patron deity's precepts or expectations regarding adherents' behavior?
Figure out what the god or pantheon or philosophy behind the Cleric's religion considers important. Roll with that. Or go the Eberron/4e route and say that divine power, once invested, cannot be taken back.
Second, in my computer RPG experience, I'm used to finding magical weapons from time to time that can only be used by a particular class, race, or, more often, alignment of character. I don't really get the logic of the first two prerequisites, but the alignment one always made sense to me. A weapon blessed by a Lawful Good deity, for example, should probably only grant bonuses (or be used at all) by a character that is at least "good", no?
"Pure of heart?" "Believes in the god that made it?" Give the weapon a reaction roll with modifiers based on the character's behavior to see if it deems him worthy? You've got lots of options.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

This was written in 2006 back in the early days of BFRPG - http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/BF ... 2006.0.pdf Maybe it will be of some use. Or maybe those interested could create a new alignment supplement. I'd prefer just updating the existing one but Chris is sometimes hesitant to do that with works of people we can't get permission from. I don't know who Todd Roe is, to know if he is still around.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd recommend the Alignment Creator's Kit, actually, as a good discussion of how an alignment system could be built:

http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#alignmentkit

Also, you mention weapons only usable by certain characters. Though I consider it decidedly unfinished, the Sentient Weapons supplement might be good for you to look at:

http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.h ... entweapons

In that supplement, I discuss weapons that only accept certain users, and describe the various ways that might work.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Raellus

Post by Raellus »

Thanks, guys. I'll check them out.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Another approach might be to eschew alignment in favor of Codes or Paths - Noting specific virtues or tenets of the faith, or different paths one might follow: Code of the Warrior, Code of the Survivor, Code of the Seeker, that sort of thing.

I would also suggest considering Alignment as a statement on which Players in the Cosmic Game you are Aligned to - what faction or philosophy do you support? If you don't care, take "Unaligned." This is a bit less about behavior (though it should suggest particular values and interests), and more about what value is emblazoned across your soul for other entities to see.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I don't miss alignments. It really just never comes up. I will share this:

I play predominantly with my children, none of whom have ever played any role-play game besides BFRPG (no D&D of any flavor, nor other sorts of games). They have absolutely no knowledge of anything coming close to alignments. That said, they have inherently taken the 'side' of being heroic. Nothing set in stone, but they generally know that a warrior fights to save the weak, that the clerics stand firm against undead and the creatures of the darkness, and otherwise that the game is generally about doing good, like the characters of movies and books they have been exposed to. They understand that there are bad fighters, mu, and clerics that serve foul powers, but they have never even inquired about trying to "be those sorts".

However, once alignments are introduced and one sees that the other side of things is available... I can see where the allure comes out.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I would even purge certain aspects of alignment such as spells (detect evil, etc) or at least modify those to something else. For instance, detect evil might be redesigned simply as "Detection" where the caster might choose at the time of casting from choices such as goblinoids, undead, infernals/netherworld, and so forth (but not based on alignment). Alignment just does not come up, nor in my mind does it need to. If one has a sword, change it (as some have hinted above) to other qualities such as race/heritage/class or even stuff like ability scores (holy sword requires CHA to be exceptional). In other words, there are ways around all these choices besides feeling like one must define alignment.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I use just 3 alignments.

There is good : How you want to play that is up to you. Follow the law or be random, your choice. Just do good deeds and such.

There is evil: Mostly demons and those that associate with them.

There is Neutral or as I tend to call it selfish. That is close to 95% of the world and mostly all the creatures. They look out for themselves first and foremost. If that means doing something nice and a good deed then they do that. If it means doing something nasty and illegal to take care of themselves then that is what they do.

Anything more than that and you start having to look at point of views. I think there was an old article about how a paladin could be considered LG because they are following their god's demands even if that god is Evil. It boiled down to Point of View.

The crusaders believed they were LG for they were doing GOD's work but to others they were NE because of all the slaughter and suffering they inflicted on those that they considered pagan and such.

I don't want stuff like that in my games so I just boiled it to the three.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Once again.. the beauty of BFRPG. By leaving it out, Chris gives any DM the ability to add our alignment of their choice; None, Basic (L,N,C), Advanced (The 9) or Simple (G,N,E) or whatever variant works for them. I'm old school.. so I've always had alignments so I use them in my campaigns.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I use charater concept + personality + motivation. Than normally gives enough guidance w/out becoming a hindrance.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/