Player Classes as NPCs

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
celtchief

Player Classes as NPCs

Post by celtchief »

Hello all,
I've been playing Basic off and on for a few years now i guess... I have bought two of the rulebooks and I love the system. One problem I am having though is creating enemies that are player classes/races. I can of course create a 5th level halfling thief, and make it a bad guy.... but I'm not sure how to award XP. Does it count as a HD 3 creature, or a 5 HD monster? Are thieving abilities a special ability.... worth how many asterisks on the XP chart? What about fighters.... a 5th level fighter has as many HP as a 5 HD creature.... but are on the same line as 4 HD monster....
So if there is a thread that points the way, I'd love to see it? Also, if there is not a collection of NPC/Class characters for the different races... is their interest in one being created? I'm not promising... but if I have to do the work anyways for my own campaign...

Anyhow, hope this all made sense.... Thanks, love the game.

Robert
SmootRK

Re: Player Classes as NPCs

Post by SmootRK »

I have done it differently at different times... often just an arbitrary amount based upon how difficult the encounter seemed to work out. However, if I were trying to offer specific guidance sticking as closely to the existing rules, then I would suggest HD=Levels (for use in conjunction with table on p. 42) and always use 3 asterisks (because the classes all generally have multiple abilities, whether spells, various class abilities, good equipment, magical items, and so forth).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I treat Level as HD.. quick and easy for XP calculation.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

dymondy2k wrote:I treat Level as HD.. quick and easy for XP calculation.
This is how I would handle it as well, as for special abilities, I would only count something that had or could have an impact on combat. A second level mage with two read magic spells memorized would not be worth as much as a second level mage with magic missile and shield memorized for example.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Maliki wrote:
dymondy2k wrote:I treat Level as HD.. quick and easy for XP calculation.
This is how I would handle it as well, as for special abilities, I would only count something that had or could have an impact on combat. A second level mage with two read magic spells memorized would not be worth as much as a second level mage with magic missile and shield memorized for example.
This is basically why I state that generally I use a more arbitrary assignment based upon how the encounter went. Conversely, a NPC party, acting as a well-practiced team, each supporting, enhancing, and otherwise working in concert can be a formidable force, worth well above the sum of their individual XP rewards. Same goes with a mixture of monster types, but the effect seems more pronounced with Classed individuals.

This is one of the areas of gaming that is less of a mathematical effort or science, and more of an Art.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?