GP-as-XP Rewrite

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hywaywolf

Re: GP-as-XP Rewrite

Post by Hywaywolf »

utility of gold is its own reward, as well. If you are going to give XP for treasure then magic items are treasure. I don't think anyone would disagree that given identical scenarios that a treasure load with magic items will have less gold, gems, art, etc than a treasure load without magic items.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am wondering if I was clear earlier. I don't give xp for gold or magic or anything else of value.

However once acquired, gold or items (gems magic art whatever) can be used to purchase training as described above.

Things of value (in my mind) do not somehow grant somebody insight or "experience" that increases their proficiency in their profession, however it might be used to purchase such. Like a person might use money to go to college or secure an apprentice or journeyman position. The acquisition of riches itself does not make one a better person, but those riches can be put towards betterment of oneself.

Usable magic items do help in that they make it easier to acquire experience... but not in of itself making one a better person.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I understood you, smoot. we were just broadening the conversation. What you say is a fair way to do it if that's how you want to do it. But RPGs aren't real life. At their core, RPGs are a game and XP is how you keep score. Giving xp for gold is one way of rewarding successful players and it doesn't need any other justification other than that.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I agree with LibraryLass regarding magic items... they aren't a "value" to me. I don't compare them (this is more than that) except in the broadest terms. In fact, within limits of course, I like the pure randomness of magic items in hoards.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The primary difference between gold and magic objects is that gold its a "medium" that a character uses to purchase other objects or benefits and thus its has a "life-span" (once used its gone) but magic objects, at least most of them, stays with their user after each use.
Also magic objects helps directly on acquiring XP (defeating monsters, surviving dungeons, etc) but gold on itself doesn't.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Gold, magic items, armor, etc all are things that PCs acquire in game to make their in game tasks easier.

XP is a reward for playing the game. If an action to acquire a magic item is the same as the action to acquire gold why should it be rewarded differently.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:Gold, magic items, armor, etc all are things that PCs acquire in game to make their in game tasks easier.

XP is a reward for playing the game. If an action to acquire a magic item is the same as the action to acquire gold why should it be rewarded differently.
That's all very well Hyway, but in order to implement your suggestion the poor GM has to somehow decide how much XP to award for a Potion of Control Plant, or a Snake Staff, or a Bag of Devouring, or whatever. And to do it in a way that is reasonably consistent from item-to-item across a campaign. No thanks! 1 GP = 1 XP is just easy. It may not make perfect sense, but it's simple and it works. It's also where, traditionally, the vast majority of XP has always come from.

If anything I lean (ever so) slightly towards a requirement that a PC should spend the gold to receive the XP, but only because it creates an interesting choice for the player - do they spluge all their gold on XP? Or keep some back for an emergency resurrection, or spell research, or whatever?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Besides magic items have a direct effect on defeating monsters and thus gaining xp, or at least they help on a dungeon, gold... not so much, its primary used outside a dungeon...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

gold buys henchmen that help in the dungeon. Gold buys arrows, food, housing that keeps you healthy to fight in a dungeon. Gold buys wagons that hauls your goods and pays the NPCs you hire as camp watchers and guards which allow you to keep your fighting weight down. Gold buys information that helps you find the treasure and where the bad guys are.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Yes, but it does so after the fact. The usefulness of a magic item is relatively immediate.