Balancing?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rosisha

Re: Balancing?

Post by Rosisha »

I don't really worry about balance, but that's also because I don't worry about how the players overcome challenges. I'm as happy as a clam if my players go through an entire module without a single fight. I'm also happy if they turn dungeons into grueling mosh pits. At the end of the day, it's whatever makes them happy.

If you want to have an army of orcs encamped in a valley - do so. If the four first level characters in your party are stupid enough to charge into them... well, that's a learning opportunity. If they try to get clever, let them run with it. Maybe they try digging pit traps and then "attacking" before running away to lure the orcs into the pit traps. Maybe that works once or maybe even twice. But don't give them ideas, let them tell you.

Maybe, instead of combat at all, they talk to the city and raise a "ransom" of gold and trade goods. They bring it to the orcs and negotiate for the army to leave. Or maybe they hire the orc army to attack an even bigger threat.

I'm happy with any of those. The game is incredibly dynamic. "Balance" is only the concern if everything is going to be a battle, and you want to play it like a video game. BFRPG - despite being fantasy - is pretty realistic in that you can and will encounter challenges that you cannot overcome through pitched battle. You have to be prepared for that.

I find another nice thing about this is that it gets rid of "optimization". You can't "optimize" a 1st level wizard build to handle three large companies of orcs wielding spears.
Saltmarsh

Post by Saltmarsh »

Rosisha is right on the money one of the best things about Basic Fantasy is the fact you dont have to worry about is the encounter to hard or dangerous, they arnt ment to hack their way through everything they meet its something they need to learn and learn fast if they want to make it to 2nd lvl .
cailano

Post by cailano »

Seven is right about the magic formulas. If a GM wants to move away from a "whatever makes sense in the story" style of encounter design, he or she is going to have to put some thought into things.

For example, with my guidelines above, I say a "hard encounter" can have total hit dice of APL + 3 with no single enemy over APL in hit dice.

That's for a four to five player group. That means our fourth-level PCs could face an ogre and three orc guards all at the same time. Some groups could be overwhelmed by that, especially if the MU already used her trusty sleep spell, and even more so if we're talking about adding complexity, like an orc with a crossbow that shoots from behind cover.

It might go fine, or it might end up a TPK.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

"Overpowered" encounters, used in moderation, can make for some of the most memorable play. My son is still afraid of any water travel after an encounter with a Dragon Turtle. And chases can make for some truly madcap antics.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Pretty much every overpowered encountered will be memorable, but maybe not in a good way.
cailano

Post by cailano »

One thing I've come to love about BFRPG and OSR encounter design, in general, is how quick and simple it is. I designed some good encounters in 5E and they've got a good system for it, but you've got to put in some thought for designing your custom NPC bosses.

In BFRPG it's just so easy. Want an orc? It's a 1HD monster. Need an orc war party leader or other boss-type? Just add some hit dice and maybe a small damage bonus and you're good to go. Maybe a magic item if you really want to keep things interesting. Hit dice are an incredibly flexible tool.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Seven wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:43 pm Pretty much every overpowered encountered will be memorable, but maybe not in a good way.
I would argue that as long as the players aren't forced into such an encounter and they have the option to retreat or escape it, then it can create a good incentive for them to get stronger and return later for revenge. That's plenty of motivation right there. Some of my most fond rpg memories as a player are those "payback time" moments.