MapMatic +2 Beta Test

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hywaywolf

Re: MapMatic +2 Beta Test

Post by Hywaywolf »

Solo, you may want to freeze my posting privileges but I have another question. Where is the function that allows me to open a view screen with the title and the grid numbering?

I am also assuming the upload to public maps will either be the method you currently have to upload maps which are already public or it is a coming feature.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:Ok, sorry, but I'm not really done. :) These following comments are all just things that would be nice to have but aren't necessary.

What does the update button do? I had hoped that it saved my map without leaving the Edit screen. Right now it doesn't seem to do anything. Now when I want to save but continue editing I have to click 'save' then click 'return to menu' then click the chosen map to reenter edit mode.
The Update button forces a cell update, in cases where the cell contents field has been changed; it's a leftover from older versions which is really not needed anymore.

A button to save without exiting is a good idea, but it will require some AJAX code, so I'll have to think it over first.
Hywaywolf wrote:Can we get a button on the edit screen that allows us to view map without having to go back to the main menu, then return to the edit screen without having to go to the main menu yet again?
Hmm. Probably. Let me think it over.

Such a button would need to save the map, probably via AJAX or in a new window, then show the map in a new window; when you close the new window, you would be looking at the editor again.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:Solo, you may want to freeze my posting privileges but I have another question. Where is the function that allows me to open a view screen with the title and the grid numbering?
AWOL, I'm afraid. I'll try to get it in there again.
Hywaywolf wrote:I am also assuming the upload to public maps will either be the method you currently have to upload maps which are already public or it is a coming feature.
When I get that far, you'll be able to mark your own maps one of three or four ways:

Private
View Only
Public
Shared

Private maps only you can see. View Only maps anyone can view, but only you can edit (the .map file data is not available to anyone else). Public maps can be copied by others for their own editing. Shared maps (which I may or may not allow) can be edited by anyone.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Thanks for the response. I can't wait to see what you do next with this. And Thank You for the time you put into giving us these toys to play with.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just an update... I'm rewriting the MapMatic +2 backend, and the link to the main page has changed:

http://basicfantasy.org/mapmatic2.html

Please update your Bookmarks/Favorites to point to this link rather than the old one.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Good Morning,

Looking at the public maps screen made me wonder if this format will support folders when you get it completed. Say you are designing for Morgansfort you may have a lot of different maps, but you are also working on BF2 and you have a lot of maps for it, too. It would be nice to separate them out.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Darn you, 'wolf, AND the horse you rode in on!

:D

Probably, though I hadn't thought of it until now. Not for a few days, at least. I'll have to rethink the queries...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, here's a test:

Excellent, it worked!

To post a link to a public map so that anyone can see it, right-click the "View" icon in your map list and choose Copy Location or Copy Link. Then, paste it into an [img] tag set just as if it was an image url, or paste it in directly to make it a link (opening in a new window) which would be best for large maps.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Nice, I like the new pit symbol

http://basicfantasy.org/mapmatic2.cgi?cmd=view&mapid=21

yes, it worked for me too very nice
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Solomoriah wrote:Darn you, 'wolf, AND the horse you rode in on!

:D

Probably, though I hadn't thought of it until now. Not for a few days, at least. I'll have to rethink the queries...
I know you were joking, but just for the record, I don't expect any of my comments to be followed up on. I am pleased when they are, but if they weren't that would be alright too.

Oh I just noticed you finished the public maps list. Thanks