D&D Next

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
teluria

D&D Next

Post by teluria »

Anybody looked at the play test materials for D&D Next?

I got on the play test list and so far, I"m impressed. Nothing there to make me switch systems, but some interesting ideas that I may incorporate into my game.

One idea I liked is that of advantages or expertise that allows a user an extra die for certain checks, essentially allowing the player to roll two dice and take the higher roll in certain situations.

I could see this as an interesting way to implement certain magical or racial effects rather than just a straight bonus.
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of Appreciation
Steveman

Re: D&D Next

Post by Steveman »

I've played it a bit an was underwhelmed. That said, I do think even in its current form it is a more appealing game han 3rd and 4th.

Also, a cute thing I saw on 4chan/tg. Last time I played, I felt the same way.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

I've downloaded it and looked through it. I haven't been able to play it though. I think its going in the right direction so far, but its still early in the development. The rules lawyers haven't caught hold with their influence yet.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have very little interest in it until it is finalized... and then, it will likely only get used as ideas for my own game. It is likely that some bits are innovative and usable in my old-school games. Otherwise, I may acquire a Player's Handbook so that if I am invited to a game, I can play easily enough.

One thing is for sure... I will not be getting on the treadmill of endless books of add-on material that will be produced after the core set. Not going down that road.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I looked over the first release of the playtest materials and seen enough to keep me interested, but have barely glanced at the latest materials. From what I have seen so far it it a lot closer to my tastes than the last two editions, there are some things I really like but as in any system there are things I do not care for as well. I plan on picking up at least he PHB (or a starter set if they go that route).
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Maliki wrote:I looked over the first release of the playtest materials and seen enough to keep me interested, but have barely glanced at the latest materials. From what I have seen so far it it a lot closer to my tastes than the last two editions, there are some things I really like but as in any system there are things I do not care for as well. I plan on picking up at least he PHB (or a starter set if they go that route).
Well, 3rd-ed was created by a committee of people who were the left overs of TSR when it fell apart. The people who were not savvy enough to jump ship when WotC swooped in, and 4th was created by a pair of guys who actually came onto the WotC podcast and said that D&D was at its best when it was about superheroes slaying gods.

I've met Mike Mearls, he's an OSR nerd through and through. Its actually kinda funny watching him squirm back and forth between the modern gaming demands of WotC and his own desires to just reprint one of the Basics.
Characters:
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

I don't understand why they don't just do that. Re-print the Basic game and re-use the Advanced D&D name for Next. Make minor changes to the Basic game so that the mechanics line up, but otherwise, go back to a Basic set and an Advanced set. But that's just me.

I like the Advantage/Disadvantage rule, and might use it as a house rule eventually with BFRPG.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I'm finding the numbers game an interesting shift - instead of a treadmill of astronomically increasing bonuses, they're trying to keep rolls and values in "reasonable" ranges early on.

I've loved the advantage mechanic ever since I saw it in Mazes and Minotaurs. improves your odds, with catastrophic failure (or critical success when you have disadvantage) not impossible, but rather unlikely. It also makes you rethink your builds and approaches - flat bonus or probability adjustment?

Not loving the default setting assumptions. Call me archaic, but pocket-watches? really?

I'm rather keen on seeing how this goes (and adding my couple of coppers), as this is likely (hopefully?) the edition that will be in play when Bear gets out from under my roof.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am hoping that they do something cool and interesting for the setting... nothing too weird though. I would like to see something akin to fairly generic pseudo-medieval setting (like a basic Greyhawk or Known World) with a few interesting twists. Nothing like Robots and Devils and flying trains and all that, but something quirky... perhaps utilizing a race or two that are common enough, such as Goblins. Doing something different with the existing races might be cool too, perhaps dwarves live on the mountains instead of under the mountains, and are better known as woodsmen of the lumberjack style or arctic nomads in a semi-Inuit style (frozen peaks rather than coastal folk).

Lots of interesting stuff can be done during a transition like this without any real mechanical changes.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

shadowmane wrote:I don't understand why they don't just do that. Re-print the Basic game and re-use the Advanced D&D name for Next. Make minor changes to the Basic game so that the mechanics line up, but otherwise, go back to a Basic set and an Advanced set. But that's just me.
Having two systems that compete with each other was a financially bad idea when TSR did it in the 80s and it would be a bad idea for WotC to do it now. Their stated goal to create a toolkit that can be hammered into a basic, advanced, oldschool or newschool system is a noble one and probably the only way they can try to please the largest amount of players at once. Here's to them not borking it all.
Characters: