BFRPG SRD

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Blazeguard

BFRPG SRD

Post by Blazeguard »

I thought I would start a new topic for this and figured this was the place to put it. If not, feel free to move it, etc. Smoot.

Anyways, I am working on your suggestion of using the BFRPG fonts, Smoot but am having trouble finding the proper formats.
I need the fonts in either the following 4 formats: .ttf .eot .woff .svg OR be able to convert them to a .js format.

The Soutane font that I have will not let me convert to .js and I only have it in 2 of the other formats which doesn't work either.

If anyone has or knows how to get the other formats I need or knows of a similar font that I could use I would really appreciate it.

I hope to have a sample site up within the next week or two so you can start getting a feel for how it might look.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
SmootRK

Re: BFRPG SRD

Post by SmootRK »

I am no expert in fonts... but perhaps there are font choices that are similar enough to use as alternatives? Century for instance, or Bookman?
Wiki stuff is extremely limited in this regard.

Even as you work on this, I still have plans to do a completely html version once I freshen up my skills and learn about html5 and proper css use... but that is a ways off. But, don't get discouraged, as my rationale for doing such a project (even if other existing projects are out there and perhaps even better) is more about having a concrete project to work on while I am learning about such topics. Whether or not mine is or will be used would be irrelevant.

Which reminds me, I really should be breaking out that book with my spare time and going through another chapter.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Yes, if I can't get Soutane converted over if there is another font that is similar enough I can definitely use it. I have a plugin that will let me use any font I want provided I can find it in the correct formats or be able to convert it.

I will try your suggestions and if anyone else has any alternatives throw them out here.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I would clear that font with Chris and make sure he's alright with it.. I think a web accessible SRD would be a great idea.. I find the Pathfinder one extremely useful for quick lookups during a game.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

The font, called Soutane, is freeware found at a few different font pages, fonts101 seems to be the most reliable. I'm pretty sure Solo wouldn't have a problem with the use of it - I'm pretty sure he didn't make it afterall, I mean there is no evidence I can find of that at any of the places where I've found it.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Yeah, it's weird, I've tried downloading it from a couple of different places but there is something embedded in it that will not allow it to be converted for embedding in a webpage. There doesn't appear to be a license attached to it but either the way it was created or something has created a barrier.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Have you tried dispell magic?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I converted Soutane and Soutane Black for use on the web with no problem. However, I'm not sure what this "js" format is... when I put .js on a file, it's Javascript, and fonts aren't Javascript files.

Take a look at the font stylesheet for the main site:

http://www.basicfantasy.org/fonts/stylesheet.css

I used FontSquirrel to do the conversions, and used their stylesheet with only minor modifications; you can download the actual files from the /fonts directory on the webserver if you like.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Well, I'm plugging away at this little by little.

http://www.schmidthappens.ca/DokuWiki/doku.php

I've got Part 1 and most of Part 2 done. I'd appreciate any feedback you have. I managed to get the old-school font working but still not quite sure how I want to set everything up as far as navigating through the site goes.
I made some slight changes so that each part is it's own section and when you are browsing a certain part, only the pages from that part show up in the left-hand menu. I changed it as I foresee the menu becoming way too unwieldy if I leave all the parts up there.

If someone has other ideas though or any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I put up a link to the SRD on the portal page of the forum I admin for. Looks cool. I will start sending people to the site also as I work up my campaign for my online group. I still refer people to the downloads but the srd will be easier to use as it grows.