Teluria- The Story So Far - By Joe the Rat

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Joe the Rat

Re: Teluria- The Story So Far - By Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Heh, Pug impaled the goblin with a mace. That's gotta hurt.

In my dreams, I can fly

I'd love it if a plan came together.

In planning our masterful entry to the goblin lair, we remember the matter of a rather unpleasant chasm we’ll need to cross. Now we haven’t been in town for long, but we’ve already figured out that if you’ve got a weird problem (like needing 30 feet of portable bridge), you go see if Filbert Pinchpenny has invented a solution… and hope it doesn’t kill you.

Turns out, he’s got a 30 foot pole in a 10 foot package. It’s got quite a kick, too. You don’t want to be standing in the way of that thing when it opens up. Negotiations on price were a little rough. He didn’t seem to be very trusting… one of them anti-Halfling types, it seems, but we managed to come to terms without breaking anything else. We got a grappling hook in the deal, too.

We return to the cave, finding it empty, save some new footprints, ones that belonged to a family of bears that moved in. It also turns out the chasm was a bit wider than we remembered. The pole wasn’t going to cut it. We started looking for other passages – maybe some route the bears took in. No luck. So we decide to take a look inside the chasm. Maybe there’s a place we could make it across. Dust found a ledge below, with some nasty looking eyes inside. Not being one to shy away from killing things, we tie a lantern to the end of a rope, and I climb down to see what’s there, a dagger in my teeth. It turns out there’s an owlbear den in the chasm. The angry bird monster took a swipe at me. Being on a rope, the hit merely sent me swinging across the chasm. I grab the dagger to get ready to roll and come up swinging – I’m not going to be some beastie’s dinner without a fight! The others, seeing my little light swinging, and hearing me shouting, decided I was in trouble, and pulled me up. The owlbear got lucky, this time.

Thinking about what to do next, Mustard (of all people) wonders aloud (or maybe he was talking to his club again) about how hard Filbert’s collapsing pole would shoot out. So I grab on one end, and tell Mustard to hit the button. SPROING! – the thing sends me flying quite a ways. Unprepared as I was, the landing was not smooth. But it was far enough to make it work. So we try again, loosing me over the chasm, with both ropes tied to my belt. I came down a bit better, and found a place to tie the ropes off, and everyone climbed across. I’m not sure how we’ll get the pig back this way, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Continuing on, we get to the grubworm caves, and Dust scouts ahead. He quickly returns, whispering something about goblins. Goblins?! Sentries! Quick, get them before they warn anyone! Unfortunately, this does not go quickly. Mustard proves to be more block than bravado. Next time, I have Dust back me up in narrow spaces. He can shoot past me.

As fortune would have it, my advance on the goblins is met by a wild and burly dwarf from the other side. “Always press the pincer attack, even if you didn't plan on it.” Wolfram was full of good ideas. We get finish all but two – one who runs off, and one who surrenders. I tell the dwarf (who introduces himself as Ragda) to go get the runner, then turn to deal with our prisoner. At this point Ragda’s companion catches up, a Halfling woman. One with quite a mouth on her at that.

Why is it I can’t meet a woman who isn't either a shrieking harpy or a psychotic witch? Or an Elf?

…Ah, well, by the time we all get back together and up to speed, Kalixta (the Halfling) had introduced herself and thought she had a better plan for dealing with the pig, and our goblin prisoner ended up unconscious. No idea how that happened.

Split HOW many ways now?
Go with a smile!
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Update, more to come!
Dogs come runnin' for the great taste of Dwarf Butt!

So our ever-growing group continues into the worm-tunnels. Ragda was a little put off by the grubworms, until we showed him they’re big babies, and run from the light. Suddenly, we hear an ominous gurgling rumble from the south, and our goblin prisoner starts panicking and yelling. Kalixta helpfully translates for us – Mother Grubworm! Apparently they really are babies. The goblin runs off, and we high tail it in the other direction, only to find ourselves caught in a dead end. A gigantic worm comes up the tunnel after us. Running out of options, I grab one of the torches and wave it at the momma worm… and she bolts for it, straight through the wall! Guess we were lucky that she hates the light too. We work our way up to the goblin caves, and discover a sentry… and his pack of guard dogs.

What is it with goblins and dogs? I mean seriously, I think there’s more dogs than goblins down here.

We decide to try and take them out fast, without alerting the goblins any more than we already have. Heh, no such luck. Ragda, Mustard, and I come forward to take out the dogs, whilst Dust, Euphema and Kalixta sling and shoot the dogs and goblin. Harl held the torch and lantern. Almost all of the dogs go after Ragda, taking a sizable chunk out of him.

What is it with dogs and dwarves? Is it all the mead and salted pork making them extra tasty, or are the dogs on a special “mountain” diet?

Other than Ragda’s weight loss, we don’t take many nips, and finish the lot off. Unfortunately, the dogs made quite a bit of noise, meaning a patrol is on the way. We do a quick sweep for goods, I grab the goblin’s crossbow, and we make plans. We look at setting up an ambush (using the dog bodies as a barricade, and setting up a lovely crossfire, with an incendiary spread to break their lines)… but someone suggests we retreat below – something about being uncertain of what was behind us. And that’s what we do.

Hmmph.
Go with a smile!
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Last week's adventure (in brief)
Double-Header

Taking a breather, we snoop around the worm caves, and determine that yes, there is only the one way up. I understand that dwarves have a thing for rocks, but they way Harl and Ragda were going on, you'd think they were expecting to find a stalagmite that would open a secret tunnel if you yanked on it sideways. It did give us enough time that the heat died down upstairs, and we felt confident in moving on.

Coming back up, Ragda and Harl take the lead (since they can see in the dark), followed at distance by Dust (who is sneaky), then us Halflings (who hide well), then Mustard and Euphema (who are protecting our rear from stealth grubworms or rock-crawling goblins, I guess). Advancing cautiously, we find a few weapons - the mages grab a few daggers, and I spot a rather curious club - a twin-headed club, with extra banding and a pair of sproog skulls for the "heads." It's a hefty piece, heavier than The Judge, and would certainly crack some skulls. I take it along to see which skull breaks first: one of these, or whatever I hit with it.

As we get ready to move on, we hear some growling and shouting. So here comes our second dog-and-goblin show of the day.
They're smart enough to set additional sentries, but not smart enough to set them in front of their weapons?

They are doubtful but cautious, and we try to surprise them at the entrance - no go, but we catch them off enough to let Ragda and myself hold the opening, and give the others room to shoot. A good thing too, as there were a lot of goblins and dogs - including one rather large and pasty fellow. We alternate hitting and missing (mostly Ragda chopping through goblins like cordwood, and them missing their attempts to hit me), with the goblins and dogs running in to the masher. The two-headed club took some getting used to, but it did do justice to a few dogs before we started getting beat back. The hits must've been getting Ragda mad, as he started growling and foaming at the mouth. He starts in again, tearing through the goblins, and through the dogs before collapsing in a heap from wounds and exhaustion. It was a tight fight, and we're looking pretty ragged. This may take longer than we thought. Best not take too long though - I don't want to be caught in the worm caves without a light.

Mmm, the club? Yeah, I think I'll keep it for a bit. I'm thinking about calling it "Sprooghammer."
Go with a smile!
Kalixta

Kalixta is here (and boy does the dwarf stink)

Post by Kalixta »

My parents weren't very smart. First off with the whole honest Halfling thing.... really? And then driving off into the middle of a battle and getting themselves killed- duh! My idiot little brother just hung out in the wagon and waited to be slaughtered- I knew there would be a way to get rid of that pest eventually! Thankfully I HAD learned some things from the Halflings my parents hung around with, I ran away and hid. Bye-bye little bro and dumb parents!

So there I am in the woods- no food, and no useful skills since my parents had to be honest. So I walked, and walked, and walked..... I think the days of near starvation stunted my growth. I finally landed in a village of some sort, and went into the first tavern. There I am, dirty, hungry, pathetic- but would they give me food- NO! (again, if my parents had taught me anything useful I could have just taken it!) Kicked out, I sat by the door and looked pathetic. Then this human comes by- older guy, not bad for a human I guess. He was rather short himself, and seemed to lack in the hair department, so I gave him my sad eyes, and the bastard ignored me. Figures- not much a 12 year old Halfling can do to entice a man.

He stayed in the pub for quite awhile, and when he came out seemed to have a change of heart. He said his name was Feruke and he would feed me if I worked for him. That's where I've been for the last 20 some years ( they seemed to run together after the first 5). You might think he was a bad guy for keeping me locked up, but he really needed help- ever met a clumsy, uncoordinated, memory impaired wizard? I hope you never do- what a mess he was!

The one thing he was good at were basic enchantments to keep me in, but even if he hadn't done it I might have stayed. I mean, he was pitiful.... nothing ever came out the way he intended it to, and much of what I learned about magic had to do with fixing the house, the furniture, small animals, and him! Then one day he just up and disappeared- seriously! So there I am still in the house, and who knows where he is- probably somewhere between here and there.... wherever that might be. Without him in the house, that I knew of, I started snooping, and what do I find? A cheat sheet on how to get out of the house! I guess he was afraid he would forget what he did to it.... figures, I was there all that time and the answers were under my nose (actually under a ton of spell books, probably in languages he forgot).

So here I am... Where exactly is this anyway?

And who, or what, are you?

And by the way, if I seem a bit paranoid it's cause I think Feruke might be following me. I just can't see him to find out!!!!!

There I am in a cave, tied up with some stinking dwarf! Really, he stinks, I think used the bathroom while we were tied here. Not nice! He's back there trying to get out of his ropes, gruntin, huffin, and puffin- you would think with all that noise he could actually do something- NOPE! It's a good thing I have a dagger in my boot.

And here he comes, rolling over! You would think being tied up in a cave might bring dwarf boy down a couple notches- nope! The way he's looking at me- ewwwww! It might be better to keep him tied up than let him know I have this dagger. So he cuts my ropes with the dagger - he's not coordinated enough to get his own. So my big questions are "do I leave the stinky guy here and run out?" or "Am I a nice person?" Since he looked so pathetic I set him free, but wow, he's one NOXIOUS dwarf!

So there we are, untied, and him very stinky and we meet the raggedy group of things down there too. There is rather obnoxious Halfling named Pug (guess his momma had a sense of humor) who threw a Goblin at me, as well as a bunch of the strong(?) silent types. I guess if you can't beat them, and are stuck underground and don't remember how you got there, you have to go with what shows up.

So this bunch takes off- with Ragda The Brave (and stinky) trying to kill anything and everything that moves. It's too bad that his aim doesn't always match his attitude. At any rate, I'm trying to hang back and see how this all plays out... dead dogs, dead Goblins, dead wormy things.... hope that I don't get in Ragda and Pug's way. (Then again, if I hadn't helped maybe it would be dead dwarf and halfling.) But I might have a few tricks up my sleeve.... Feruke did teach me a little before he disappeared.

If Feruke could see me now (and maybe he can), he's laughing his rear off. At least he knew which way to go once he had been somewhere. Not so much for the halfing and dwarf. How long can we stand in one place and say "which way should we go?" Really?

In other news Ragda lost another chunk of his ass... I really think an occasional shower might keep the dogs from chewing on it quite so much. And we beat up some more dogs and goblins. No sign of the pig... so what are we doing exactly? If I knew how to get out of here I just might go, but watching Ragda lose his rear on a regular basis is pretty damn funny. And I guess I still don't have anything better to do....

________________________________________________________________________________

Yep, we fought more stuff. Goblins of various sizes. more dogs. I REALLY wonder if the dogs would be less inclined if Ragda would invest in some personal hygiene. But I guess maybe he did need to lose some weight.

Thanks to me, my spell abilities, and my amazing skills at speaking Goblin I was able to keep us from being attacked from a giant hoard of them.... but do the others thank me? NO! lalala... Kalixta helped save our asses, but she's just a girl.

We did find the pig... and thus our way out of the cave. But when we went to deliver it Aladar was gone, figures. They used the pig to pay the taxes on the lovely tower Aladar left us in payment. So now we have a home I think. But if Ragda doesn't clean up the dogs will be here soon or his odor will maker it uninhabitable!
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Pigasus
So where were we? Oh yes, the guards. After finishing off Pinky and the gang, we keep searching, finding lots of cave, but not so much pig. After a few dead ends, we see a crossroad, and some light - the main entrance! Great, now all we need is our pig. Oh, and to get rid of the guards. And more goblins means more dogs. Ragda looked nervous.

We start fighting our way through, Ragda and Mustard forcing one opening against some goblins, while I hold the other side with some backup from Dust, Euphema, and Kalixta. Harl mostly bides his time, then unleashes firey death on one of the goblins as he got too close. I paused to look back - it's like we were finally coming together as a unit. That moment of distraction got me a nick from an arrow. Reinforcements came in from the east, shooting all the way, but we managed to take them down once we cleared the other side. (Apparently there were more goblins coming from the west, but they shouted a bit, then left. Kalixta thinks she had something to do with that.)

Pressing eastward, we encounter more guards. Kalixta starts shouting at them in Goblin, and finds they are guarding the pig. They are also afraid of Redbloods - whatever those are. But the point is, the pig is back there. We go charging in, and take them easily. Dust unlocks the door, and we find our pig, and those two fools who took it from the goblins in the first place. The pig was happy to be free, and ready to escape. Fortunately for us, Harl was ready with his net, and snagged the airborne swine. Pig secured, I took the opportunity to express my frustration at the two vagabonds, finishing with my closing arguments - that's a left jab and a right hook. It was simple enough, as they were sitting- As in they weren't moving. What, you think I was talking about reach? You sayin' something about my size?

Oh, put a steak on it, that'll help the swelling. Now then. So we take our pig and head back to Aladar's tower, ready to take our reward. As it turns out Aladar has skipped town, going in search of a rare and valuable book. But he didn't leave us empty-handed. Oh no, he gives us his tower... which apparently comes with back taxes. At this point, we'd be richer if we never took the pig job. The Imperial tax collector was rather enamored with our flying pig, and was willing to take it in trade for our newly acquired tax debt. He was as much of a stuffed doublet as you'd expect, but Kalixta found him particularly annoying. Apparently she's versed in Old Imperial, and finds the current court accent rather intolerable. But we've got a wizard tower to call our own.

Oh Goody.
Go with a smile!
Kalixta

Kalixta- small but sturdy....

Post by Kalixta »

I have no reason for saying that other than I wanted to. I seem to be more impulsive of late, perhaps it's due to the short attention span I have.... I suppose you're wondering why my attention span has gotten so short? We'll get there, if I don't get bored writing this and go chase a tasty dinner.

So there we were, in the tower. No Aladar, but lots of CRAP! yes, Aladar (whom I've never met) seems to be a bit of a dimwit experimental run away coward wizard... but maybe I'm just saying that because of the cockroach. Did I mention it talks?! A girl can't make this up!

So Aladar left a mess, there's the talking roach, the things in the drain, the guy who wants the giant removed from his house, the room we can't find, and a ton of unlabeled crap that it appears my fellow adventurers seem to think I should taste to see if it's ok.

Bottles of fluids- one yellow and smells like cat pee (mmmm cat, tasty, wonder where he got it, wonder if I can chase it...... cat!) But I digress. The blue fruity one which made all of the others look at me like I was naked (not that Ragda has ever stopped.... he's ugly, hairy, stinky, and missing part of his ass still.... like any self respecting girl would go there.... I AM still a girl, I just had a few minor cosmetic changes. The blood red one seems to be some sort of healing potion- we should keep that. And the very odd aquamarine fluorescent one.... mmmm tingly. And then they all start looking at me funny- what did I grow another head or something?

Yep, something. My bitchy nature has taken over- complete with black nose, floppy ears, and some strange body hair. That and this obsession with peeing on things (like Ragda), and chasing dinner. Doesn't seem to be wearing off either, and Ragda keeps looking at me funny.

I wonder how that cockroach would taste? On a positive note my backside seems to be filling out- (I'm just afraid to figure out why).
Joe the Rat

Re: Teluria- The Story So Far - Property Virgins

Post by Joe the Rat »

I never realized home ownership was such a complicated business.

Having collected our documents from the Imperial Poof, and the key from the excessively leggy Delara, we return to our newly-acquired tower to see what we own. Big room… nice, good for meals and meetings… kitchen… pantry / servant quarter… missing space in the northwest corner… Mmm? Oh yeah, The Dwarves are good with space, and figured we were missing a room. No obvious means, so we go on-

Someone pounds on the door. It’s the innkeeper from the House of Sheep. Apparently he has one of Aladar’s old experiments – A giant talking cockroach. Heh, my old pal Gregor used to have nightmares about that kind of thing. The innkeep wanted it dealt with, and brought it to us. This was a sign of things to come.

So we go back in and check out the next floor. Wizard lab, bits of this and that, and a bunch of dirty pots and a few potions. Seeing as this is the kind of thing that magic-usin’ types are good with, we turn Kalixta loose to figure out what this stuff is. Apparently that means tasting things. The first potion didn’t do anything, but there was something about how the light caught her hair as she considered the effects… huh. What was that about? Okay, so Ragda figures that he should have a go, and tastes the next one. Suddenly his butt was less lopsided. Must’ve healed a cheek chewed off by the goblin dogs. Kalixta tries the next one… and begins growing fur, and floppy ears. Okay, don’t drink that one! The last one, a yellow bottle that smelled of cat pee apparently tasted like cat pee as well. (I’m not going to ask how Kalixta knew what cat pee tasted like. Must be a wizard thing.) As we continue our sear-

Someone pounds on the door. And something breaks in the kitchen. Whatever was in the kitchen left little footprints everywhere, and the knock at the door proved to be a local farmer. Apparently he has a giant sitting on his house. We thank him for the news update, and I go back inside, when he asks if Aladar is here. Aladar was apparently the go-to guy for weird problems (and not the cause of all of them, it seems). So we let him know Aladar’s not here… but we might be able to take a look. So we go back up to the third floor… but not before leaving Harl at the door in case we got any more callers. Third floor, master bedroom. Kalixta finds some light reading, Ragda goes searching for satyrs in the wardrobe, and-

Another knock at the door. Harl’s on the job. So up to the fourth floor. Nice sitting room, desk, chair, statue in the corner with a hinged mouth. Hey… Kalixta thinks there might be something there. I think it might be one of them “goal-men” things, tell it to bend down, and punch it in the stomach. I apparently hit a switch, because it started talking in riddles:

Something something, blah blah blah, the switch for the secret door is behind a table.

What, like I’m going to remember that? Do I look like a bard or somethin’?
We head back down, and find out our old pal Philbert came by to see how the pole thing turned out. Never mind. We search the tables, and find the switch. It opens a door into the basement, which is completely trashed. Either Aladar left in a big hurry, something dangerous (and moving) is down here, or some combination of both. Looking around, we find that Aladar was into some pretty messed up stuff, even by wizard standards. Some of the remains looked rather like what The Black Baron of White Falcon Keep had in his “study” – and if you know the stories, it’s not pretty. We find one of his experiments running around down here too – a giant man-cockroach thing. Brrr… lucky for it, it was scared of the light, and ran off before we could kill it. That’s when we found a whole colony of the talking cockroaches down here. We head back up and reach a bit of understanding with Myron. He stays out of the House of Sheep, stops complaining about their food (he’s got refined tastes, he says), and we let him and his buddies live where they are. They could come in handy in this town.

Deciding what to do next, we head to town to get a new lock for the basement, I want to see about a light, and then we figure out where to go from there… I want to go deal with the giant, Dust wants to hit the inn, and Kalixta wants to see if she can find a cure for her bitchiness, or at least to look more Halfling. So off to town we go…
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"a cure for her bitchiness" hahahahahahahahahahaha bruhahahahahahahahaha heheheheheh

perhaps some midol?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I have a lot to catch up on, but here is last nights adventure:

Hi, this is Ragda Foesmiter here to update you on the latest Shenagans of the Ragda’s Adventuring Guild (RAG). The guild is comprised of a ragtag band of adventures that I let live with me in my really bitchin tower that used to belong to this wacky wizard. They rather charmingly refer to me as Ragda the Flatulent because they enjoy my anal released expression of my enjoyment of a fine meal of deep fried opossum smothered in okra gravy. They seem to especially enjoy the long blubbering rumble nearly as much as the aroma. What a bunch of cards.
Well anyway, yesterday was a very interesting day. Like every other day, Flatulence Tower (that is what we are thinking of naming my tower) was a busy day for guests. We get so many visitors that Norm (that isn’t his real name, but I never did get his name after I saved the group in the cavern full of goblins, dogs and giant worms) has decided to retire from adventuring and serve me as butler, housekeeper and doorman at Flatulence towers. He opened the door to two new members of RAG, Rufus Kneeknocker and Raywin Copperpit. They look like a right nice fit for the guild.

Well, with two new members I felt it was important to get the RAG good and bloody to herald their joining. The problem started when we couldn’t decide what to do for a new adventure. Kalixta wanted to chase after that wacky wizard who left me the tower to get her changed back from being a dog, but that nose of hers is much to useful as it is to change it back. As we were all arguing fitfully about what to do there came another knock at the door. Our old friend the farmer with the giant problem had returned to see if we were really gonna come see about the giant problem sitting on his roof. So we went to his house (no one noticed the journey since we argued the whole way, but we couldn’t miss that we had arrived. The farmers problem really was a giant, sitting on his roof.

I was about to offer him a swig of moonshine from my waterskin, but the whole skin weren’t no bigger than a single tear that was leaking from that dude’s eye. Kalixta started talking to him all sweet like and got his story. Seems he has monsters in his house and he’s too scared to return to it. We convinced him to get off the farmers house by offering to get rid of the monsters. (not sure what we could do against monsters that could scare a giant, but one step at a time). The giant told the farmer, at our suggestion, to deliver a couple cows and a bunch of chickens and some other stuff to Flatulence Tower or he’d come back and sit on his house again.

So off we went to the giant’s house. Only in about 10 steps the giant was out of sight. We couldn’t keep up with those long legs so he came back and dropped us in a pocket to carry along. I took a nap and had that disturbing dream again. But soon we were there and inside the cavernous house. From the giants description of the monsters we soon determined that his monsters were just a coat rack and an upside down mop. Turns out that this giant is pretty immature and has vision problems. We tell him he needs eye glasses to see better so he wouldn’t be scared of household items, but he will need money to pay for them. Turns out the giant has a bunch of gems and he chose a few big ones to pay for the glasses. Kalixta wheedled a gem for her and was going to leave the rest of us with nothing but I got the giant to give us all one.

Back in town we went to Philpot to get the glasses made and after an entertaining negotiation we arranged for Philpot to make the giant some spectacles from the glass marble the giant had in his pocket. After that we went to the carnival to blow off steam and the giant went home to wait for his glasses to be delivered in a week. So the RAG didn’t get bloodied, but we did a good deed and conceived a new giant child as a friend.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Another take:

Family Matters

Family…. Now there’s a curious thing. For the last twenty-odd years, Wolfram and his crew were my family. You’d think a foundling would end up at a temple somewhere, but for some reason, this band of mercenaries kept me. They’ve a few camp followers, but it was his lady Janissa, as nasty a war boss as any, that insisted I stay. I don’t know why they never did a wedding, but they were a fine, if dangerous pair. But the War Dogs – they’re like brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles all around. Many left in distant lands, and the few lucky ones lived long enough to grow out of it. Even Wolfram got too old to fight, but he’s the company chief – a negotiator and general, finding work for the lads. All the same, they weren’t blood. Hell, they’re not even Halflings. One of the few things I can remember (besides an unfortunate bird) was papa talking about the importance of blood relatives – even when you don’t like them. It’s the Halfling way.

So out of the blue, a drunk dwarf shows up looking for Ragda. Says his name is Reywin, and he’s a cousin. Distant cousin, based on his accent. Must be from the Highlands. He needs our help to get a bunch of grubworm oil (grubworms… I’m so sick of grubworms) so he can get anointed as a cleric. Both of the T’nul priests (twin brothers, by the way – and on opposite sides of the left-right schism) sent him after this. I think it sounds like a job for Philbert, but Kalixta wants to do a little digging, and after burying something, go look something up. So while we’re figuring this out, and Ragda gets acquainted with his cousin, we get another knock, this time a Halfling looking for me.

Me? This strikes me as odd.

Our new guest, Rufus, starts into this long Halfling-extended-family spiel, talking about reunions and weddings and bait-and-switch stings, and that he’s broke… and I have no idea what he’s talking about. Twenty-odd years, and my only family was a bunch of sweaty, hard drinking, hard fighting, humans. No, we have not met sir. I have not seen a blood-halfling for quite a while, much less a family reunion/smuggling swap meet. So prove it, I say. He pulls back his shirt to show me the Walksoft birthmark on his shoulder. Yeah, he’s a relative. Ragda takes this to mean it’s casual Friday, and takes off his shirt. It’s this point that Kalixta rejoins us with news about grubworm oil (Grubworms!) – there’s no such thing. It’s an errand the churches use to get rid of pesky petitioners. Ragda looked depressed at thought that we weren’t going to build a still to make grubworm oil (GRUBWORMS!). Kalixta sees Rufus’ mark, then gets all weird (well, more weird), and takes me aside for a chat. So we get back to the rest, decide to go deal with the giant we’d heard about earlier, and find a good way to break it to Reywin that the priests are giving him the runaround.

Mmmm? What’d Kalixta have to say? That’s family business, pal. Suffice to say that I now have two relatives in the gang. We invite the new kids along (the more the merrier). With Mustard staying at the tower for a bit, and the human and elf gone, we’ve finally got ourselves a reasonable-sized party - all under five foot. Now all we need is a name.

As we get ready to head out, the farmer with the giant pops up again – talk about timing. He takes us up the road to his farm, where a giant is indeed sitting on his roof. He’s a big one two, easily ten times my height. And he’s stubborn. I get ready to hit him in the toe to get him off the house, when Kalixta asks why he wanted to see Aladar… and the big lug starts bawling like a wee one. The giant (Grumpleschnortz is his name) says he’s got monsters in his house. Seriously? We should introduce this guy to Ferdinand… wherever he got to. So we offer to help him (getting him off the house, and the farmer owes us a cow), and after some prompting, he carries us to his place. Ragda falls asleep, and nearly suffocates the lot of us with his wind. Why do we keep him around again?

We get to his place, and go find his monsters… which turn out to be a coat rack and a mop. We don’t even get to knock them over before Kalixta goes and starts talking to the giant again. After much blubbering and whining, and the giant saying something too, she determines the giant can’t see very well. She also negotiates some sizable gems for each of us in payment for solving his problems. Nicely done. But what to do about his eyes? Hmm… Philbert wears spectacles, maybe he could find or make some for our friend. So off to town again! Philbert nearly passes out at the presence of a giant, the idea of making him glasses, and the size of the gem (as big as my head, or call me a liar!) he offered in payment. The giant even had a glass marble they could melt down for lenses.

Problem solved, party paid, let’s head to the carnival. Hope they don’t mind if I bring my own hammer.

I forgot something? Who’s telling the story here you- Where did Euphema and Dust go? Oh, they disappeared sometime the day before. Dust has always been a mysterious one, but Euphema taking off unannounced was a surprise. Maybe she caught a lead on her Halfling con-artist. Maybe he caught a clue to his past. Me, my money is on there being a little Tanis in the near future, if you get my meaning. Like I said, family is a curious thing.
Go with a smile!