Jed Clampett/Hillbilly

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
shadowmane

Jed Clampett/Hillbilly

Post by shadowmane »

If you were to stat out Jed Clampett, how would you go about doing it? I mean, you would give him some aspects of a Ranger. Perhaps some of a Barbarian. Then, if you think about typically stereotypical hillbillies, you have to add in some Bardic stuff, since they all like music (banjo and fiddle anyone?) and telling stories. Would you have to create a special Hillbilly class that would encompass all of this, or would you multi-class the character.

Getting back to Jed Clampett, he's a Mountaineer, so he's got hunting and living off the land down pat. All of that is covered in the Ranger class. But he's also probably good with gadget making (as most Mountaineers had to be, being dirt poor... they had to build what they had out of scratch). Most Hillbillies are highly religious, so perhaps a touch of the cleric class here too. They would have high wisdom, but low intelligence, due to not being very educated. Living in the mountains as they do, they would probably be a high dexterity character as well.

So how would you stat out Jed Clampett? Personally, I would go with a high level Barbarian/Ranger, given that Jed is past the prime of his life. He would have a higher than normal wisdom (in the teens), but an average intelligence for the hillbilly, which would put it somewhere around 7-9. His Dexterity would also be in the teens, and his charisma would be kind of high as well. Since he's old, his Constitution would probably be a little lower than normal. That leaves strength, which would probably somewhere between 9 and 12.

So how off do you think I am?

Here's someone's idea of a hillbilly for D20.

Edit: Thinking on this a little further, perhaps the class should be Ranger/Thief. What think thee?
Hywaywolf

Re: Jed Clampett/Hillbilly

Post by Hywaywolf »

the problem is there Jed Clampett is awesome, but the rest of the non-clampett hillbillies on that show would have an intelligence level around 6 and their wisdom would barely be 9. Although most of them would have good dex scores because they were all good shooters. I would give them (and Jed) average to +1 strength, but up their constitution to high teens because they are a very hardy folk.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I agree with much of your analysis, though I would remove some of the hillbilly connotation (almost akin to a slur based upon one's heritage). I used to live in TN, so I have a little bit of real world perspective.

Survivalists
Tough
Hunting/Foraging

Using options that I typically utilize in my games (and extrapolating to fantasy norms), I would make them Rangers, Druids, (and Scouts, though i have not done my intended re-write of this yet - see feedback thread)... and I would apply my Barbarian Quasi-class to those that would qualify. The standard classes (F/T/Cl/MU) would all work fine too, but when possible the outdoorsy/wilderness classes seem to be a better fit.

This makes me want to include a general store with a Sam Drucker NPC... and a strange MU Woman with a Pig familiar named Arnold... and of course the Inn Keeper with the 3 hot daughters!! Granny the Alchemist/Hedgewizard would be a great addition.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Rural Survivalist sounds like a good "Background" for a character, you know, via the Backgrounds and Specializations supplement.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Well, I spent my high school years in the mountains of North Carolina. I can actually relate to this kind of character, because mountain people, being the stereotypical "hillbilly", are great to be around. Of course, I married a woman from Michigan (my pet Yankee), and they all called me a hillbilly up there, just based on my Southern accent.

Oooh!!! I like Granny the alchemist/hedgewizzard!!! It sounds so juicy!!!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

shadowmane wrote:Well, I spent my high school years in the mountains of North Carolina. I can actually relate to this kind of character, because mountain people, being the stereotypical "hillbilly", are great to be around. Of course, I married a woman from Michigan (my pet Yankee), and they all called me a hillbilly up there, just based on my Southern accent.

Yes, the characters were great from that era/genre:

Green Acres
Petticoat Junction
Beverly Hillbillies

All very stereotypical types... good for npc use.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Kind of reminds me of Gamma World, where they had a town set up like Mayberry.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

shadowmane wrote:Well, I spent my high school years in the mountains of North Carolina. I can actually relate to this kind of character, because mountain people, being the stereotypical "hillbilly", are great to be around. Of course, I married a woman from Michigan (my pet Yankee), and they all called me a hillbilly up there, just based on my Southern accent.

Don't forget to apply Smooths barbarian quasi-class. She's liable to go up and rage at you.
Go with a smile!
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Where would one find rules for a Hedge Wizzard? Is there a supplement for D&D Basic somewhere that might suffice in a pinch?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

nobody has done anything for a Hedge Wizard for BFRPG. Personally, I would just make it a MU with a penchant for alchemy or herbalism or whatever. More of a personality type than a true change in profession.

Personality defines the character not always the class.
One could have a Druid that is a true tree-hugging granola eating type hippie, or one could have a Druid Lumberjack type that is more of an exploiter of nature, one who uses vast knowledge of all things "nature" to reap great rewards from wilderness resources. Same class, different way of using the abilities.
A Fighter can be soldierly type, or a fighter can be scraggly urban brawler, or a knightly horseman, or whatever. The class just forms the basics, the personality or background will make it all sensible.