BFRPG Kickstarter

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: BFRPG Kickstarter

Post by Solomoriah »

Ogre wrote:Ack?
Are you finding fault with my methods of expression?
xav++ wrote:hhahah I'm a marketing major.
Egad, a minion of evil is among us!

:D
xav++ wrote:As far as keeping it going I plan on dong exactly that. I think that some growth would be nice though. Also I'd like to see the spells in the back of the rules. It makes it difficult to GM sometimes. My ONLY complaint.
Everyone thinks something should be different. When most people agree that something should be different, I'll consider it. But since it is laid out exactly the way I wanted it, it will be hard to convince me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Solomoriah wrote:
Ogre wrote:Ack?
Are you finding fault with my methods of expression?
Yes, :)

Just seems weird to express disgust at someone trying to help, even if my help isn't wanted.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Ack" isn't disgust, it's more discomfort. I owe a lot to the artists who did the early work; there's just no way I'll replace any of their artwork, which seems to be exactly what you asked me to do. But I hate to turn down anyone wanting to contribute. Thus, discomfort.

As opposed to "Gah" which is usually self-directed exasperation.

Do not think your help is unwanted.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

hahah I figured you didn't wanna change it but I'll probably edit the pdf myself. Just kidding(only kind of considering it)
Droyson Fillif Level 3 cleric
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Solomoriah wrote:"Ack" isn't disgust, it's more discomfort. I owe a lot to the artists who did the early work; there's just no way I'll replace any of their artwork, which seems to be exactly what you asked me to do. But I hate to turn down anyone wanting to contribute. Thus, discomfort.

As opposed to "Gah" which is usually self-directed exasperation.

Do not think your help is unwanted.
I find you very confrontational.

But I am too. :lol:
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Solomoriah and BFRPG is like a father protecting his child. You ant them to grow up strong and self-sufficient, but its hard not to get defensive when someone says they need to change :).

Xav, your problem with the spell list is why people created stuff like this http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/BF ... ham-v1.pdf
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you base your opinion of me on this thread, yeah, you'd find me confrontational. You'd be surprised at the number of posts, PM's, and emails I've gotten since I first released the game telling me how great the game is... and how it would be just perfect if I would only change some part of it that's obviously wrong. Except, it's not so obvious to me.

I poured a lot of time into BFRPG. If I thought any part of the Core Rules wasn't acceptable as is, I'd be working on changing it right now.

I've gotten rather tired of being told I need to change something just to suit one guy who has never contributed anything to the Project. At least the OP offered money. Most just tell me how wrong I am (as if their off-the-cuff suggestions are something new).

This is not directed at you, Ogre. You started by offering a contribution. This automatically gives you a proverbial leg to stand on. But you wanted to change a part of the presentation of the game that I do not want changed. Surely you can see my problem there.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Solomoriah wrote:This is not directed at you, Ogre. You started by offering a contribution. This automatically gives you a proverbial leg to stand on. But you wanted to change a part of the presentation of the game that I do not want changed. Surely you can see my problem there.
I completely understand that you don't want it changed, and now that I've asked for further explanation I understand why, but originally it was presented in a way that I should of known the history of the art, when it could of been for all I had known, something you found on a public domain art website.

I just saw the ack and took it as "why would you even suggest that" when I had no basis to think it was something that shouldn't be suggested.

And I will houserule the hell out of this ruleset, but I wouldn't presuppose it be changed because not everyone will want to play the same game as me.

Sorry if we are getting off on the wrong foot, I like the ruleset you put together, and would like to run it, and would still be willing to help out in anyway I can.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. So having ranted, I found myself thinking that peelseel2 sounded familiar. Turns out a like-named user on Dragonsfoot was an early supporter of BFRPG. So peelseel2, if you're still around here, let me apologise for my harshness. Though I still disagree with your idea, I am sorry to have been rude to you.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think Solo could (or should) endeavor to be a tad less "defensive" in some responses, at least in the manner in which he responds, but his rationales are sound. There is little need to endlessly tweak the CORE of this game. It has reached a point, where it really is ideal as the base of operations.

Don't misunderstand, as I am one who likes endless tinkering, adding of new stuff, and otherwise changing things to cater to my own campaigns... but one thing that I would get mad about, is if the foundations of my gaming was constantly evolving (for no reason other than to 'make it different'). One cannot build upon an unsteady base.

As far as I am concerned, the Core Rules should be iron-clad, so that we can work with it to mold our games in our own ways. I can layer on as much as I want, but don't change my rule set. No 3rd edition, moving onto 3.5 edition for me. But, I am happy to allow stylistic change, new and/or additional artwork, etc., just don't change the rules (of course, fixing errata is fine).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?