Tiefling Feedback

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
drcheckmate

Tiefling Feedback

Post by drcheckmate »

http://drcheckmate.wordpress.com/links/helltouched/

Feel free to comment here or on my blog. This is a first draft on the power table and the primary influence is the Planescape Planewalker's Handbook (pg 78-80). I'm not sure about those save bonuses, and for the purposes of my own campaign I'm calling them Heltouched or Helltouched, but these are definitely Tieflings.

Appearance and Side Effect Tables will be more than a d30 can really handle :twisted: In fact, I might just make them one table. One. Huge. Table.
http://cruiserolympia.org/site/
The USS Olympia could use some help.
Steveman

Re: Tiefling Feedback

Post by Steveman »

Question. Why do your Helltouched have a minimum Charisma of 9, when the statistic consistency for Tieflings in every edition of D&D before D&D4's re-purposing of the name with their new devil-touched race is Intelligence?

Also, this has been floating around the various anonymous imageboards' tabletop gaming boards, just in case you don't have it: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ ... _table.gif
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
drcheckmate

Post by drcheckmate »

Thanks for the link, and that's a good question.

I went with Charisma because I like the notion that even the ugly ones might be strangely compelling to ordinary folks. There seems to be a dichotomy between the way I see them presented in the books and the way I see them played. Most of the tieflings (or similar critters) I've seen played have all been fairly charismatic. I think devil, not demon. Does any of that make sense?
http://cruiserolympia.org/site/
The USS Olympia could use some help.
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

Yes, it does. Tieflings have always been a little star wars Devorian to me, and they are some fugly charismatic baselards. I believe that is the same logic behind WotC's move to +2 Cha for their new devil-spawn race in 4E.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

I've been thinking about this a bit. I do think that Fiendling would be a better name. Planescape was the first to introduce Tieflings as a PC race. They refer to demons as Fiends. Fiend rhymes with Tief, and it's not really a word that can be copywritten. It's also less offensive to Christian players. I'd refer to them as Fiendlings and refer to their home as The Abyss or something similar rather than Hell.

I have the full ruleset for the original Tiefling if you need help on this I'm sure we could put this race together very quickly. Just let me know.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

anything "-ling" sounds too cutesy for me. A germanic term that works better for me is Teufel
Matthew- wrote:
DesertScrb wrote:I thought tiefling came from teufel, the German word for devil.
Excellent explanation: "teufel" = devil, "ing" = old English "descended from" or "of" = "of the devil", "deviling" or whatever. Perfectly good name for a monster.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

SmootRK wrote:anything "-ling" sounds too cutesy for me. A germanic term that works better for me is Teufel
Teufel is a great one, too. I like that. It's very original. Has anyone done any work on this race yet? I went to the link in the first post and it went to a 404 not found.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have not looked at the original planescape material directly in quite some time, but I would utilize that as the source.... simplifying things to a couple of ability adjustments and a couple of racial abilities (in keeping with the BFRPG simplicity model). The rest should be role-play considerations.

It should not be difficult. As an aside, I would love to see much of the planescape converted to BFRPG. I loved much of the feel of that material, although there was much that I would change for my own personal game (or more correctly, things I would simply not cover in my games). Too bad much is wotc IP that would never be publishable directly - but some sort of fan-offering would be great to get a hold of.
darrylkoster

Post by darrylkoster »

Planescape would be great to convert. It's also MASSIVE. The nice thing about it is it's mostly descriptive text. It could be done if we change the names up quite a bit and trimmed it down. It would probably look more like the Manual of the Planes from 1st ed. I have a copy of that here too. For sanity's sake I'd like to start off with converting the Tiefling to "Teufel".
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Being mostly descriptive text really is the problem... Rules are not really copyright-able... but artistic expression is, including settings, beings therein, and similar concepts. That is why we could not do an 'official' BFRPG planescape.

But, in a similar vein, I like the idea of Sigil (needs a name change) as the city of doors, but more like the movie "Dark City" fantasy edition. The doors could lead to various 'worlds' or 'dimensions' but I would leave out the great wheel overall. There could be a fire dimension (plane of fire) or whatever, but it need not be quite so defined as the traditional gygax model. Sprinkle in some interesting 'alien-esque' races (including the tainted ones - Teufel, and more).

It would make a great setting/genre for BFRPG.