JoeCarr28's "Open Table" Online Chat Game

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28's "Open Table" Online Chat Game

Post by JoeCarr28 »

So, MedievalMan's play-by-chat game has piqued my curiosity in the format and I'd be interested in giving it a go. Therefore, would anyone be interested in a game that's run at hours that are more sociable for a European playerbase? If there's sufficient interest I'd be happy to set something up. As a trial to start with and we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking of a weekly game for a couple of hours - 8.00 pm - 10.00 pm on a Sunday would work well for me. Probably using MapTool as it has all the necessary online chat functions, dice rolling, battle mats, etc. Drop me a PM or post below if you're interested and we'll take it from there.

EDIT: See my later post below for details of the "Open Table" concept.
Last edited by JoeCarr28 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hywaywolf

Re: European Timezone Play-by-Chat

Post by Hywaywolf »

What timezone is that 8pm?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Sorry, should have said - 8 pm UK, which will be 9 pm Central Europe, and I believe 3 pm Eastern US.
Jester

Post by Jester »

When are you thinking of playing? For me 8:00pm your time would indeed be 3:00pm local. So what date are you thinking of starting and I'll be there?

Just let me know
Thanks
Jester
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Thanks Jester. Basically, we'll start as soon as we have a full complement of players. I'm looking for around six. I'll see what interest there is round here to start with, and then extend the search to Dragonsfoot and RPG.net if necessary.

I'm thinking of a straight run-through of one of the classic TSR modules. So there'll be no fancy character backgrounds or campaign setting. It'll be roll your characters and off you go in the best old school tradition.
JoeCarr28

"Open Table"

Post by JoeCarr28 »

So far I've had a couple of people interested in the game. However, ideally I'd still like a few more. So, if committing to a weekly game is a barrier to signing-up, what if I made the game “open table”? In other words, would there be more interest here if I ran the game such that there was no on-going commitment to play every single week? Players could participate as and when they were free and had the inclination to indulge in a couple of hours of old school goodness. Therefore, the playerbase would be a mixture of regular players, semi-regulars, occasionals and one-offs. If only two or three people turned up on a given week, then we might have to double-up on characters. If ten people turned up, then the monsters had better watch out! Characters would follow players in and out of the game, so they’d only earn treasure and xp during those weeks that they attended. If we played through some of the classic early ‘80s TSR modules as I was planning, plot continuity shouldn’t be too much of an issue :-) .

It strikes me that it might be a good way to play with some of the other members of the forum on an informal, low commitment basis. A chance to try before you buy. If you found yourself with time on your hands on a Sunday afternoon / evening, then you could hop into the game without worrying about a longer term investment of time. It would also be a good way for new players to come and try the game out in a friendly environment.

Any thoughts? Any interest?
JoeCarr28

Re: JoeCarr28's "Open Table" Online Chat Game

Post by JoeCarr28 »

A forum to support the game, which provides a bit more background such as the game's house rules, guidelines for character creation and notes on using MapTool, is now available at www.play-by-post.org.