Basic Fantasy random play?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

(Edited to respect forum guidelines)

I've been working on some square geomorphic style tiles for figures http://bit.ly/squaredungeontiles and http://bit.ly/4x4bonus
I'm thinking about using the BF system -or perhaps T&T5- (more for fun, not so much as a product for profit) to create a random dungeon game.
Perhaps it could be a solo or party play, driven by tables or cards (no dungeon master). The PCs start off at around 3rd level. "Fighting" classes take precedence in small parties. Third level as a starting point allows for encounters with humanoids without them being too deadly - which works well with any collection of figures. Perhaps it would need to be Hack/Diablo-esque with plenty of healing potions lying around or recovery posts/fonts/fountains. Spell ranges can be simplified to the area of the tile and so forth. There might have to be a movement rate based on the flagstone squares (or even a die roll?)

I'm heavily influenced by Warhammer Quest - where you explore a new room, encounter, kill monsters, grab treasure and eventually reach the quest room (but this system would have more pseudo-role-play opportunities like in-dungeon tradesmen - I like shopping!-, dying prisoner's final wishes, a lost pony ...).

Does anyone here have any favourite random systems?

Do you see random dungeons as a waste of time, lacking in story and conversational role-play?

Is an automatic rolling dungeon with figures and tiles your idea of a good evening in?

Or, does it simply reduce role-playing to the anti-intellectual level of a Gauntlet style computer game (but much much slower)?

Any thoughts? :)
Last edited by billiambabble on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
SmootRK

Re: Square Dungeon Tiles & Basic Fantasy random play?

Post by SmootRK »

PM Sent
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

So I'm guessing that no-one here ever does random play?

Some thoughts:

I'm primarily thinking of a solitaire model - 1-2 characters minimum 3rd level onwards - perhaps the party number or levels can act as a multiplier when it comes the assessing the encounter difficulties (maybe based on total monster xp?)

Okay, if you don't have access to pre-made tiles how about some random dungeon generator tables for the layout?

I haven't quite decided on starting areas. Basically there's a main entrance or stairs and some exits.
You can start with a (1-4) corridor or a (5-6) room - roll on a d6. There's 1-3 exits.

Beyond this exit there's corridors.

When exploring the corridor:

Corridor:
Width 1d6 1-3 = 5ft (1sq), 4-5 = 10ft
Length 1d6 x 5ft + 20ft

Roll 1d6 for a standard feature:
1-3 Exits (Archways/Doors)
4, Turn
5, Junction
6, Blocked (1-3 dead end 4-5 rock fall, 6 impassable drop)

Turn (right angles only)
1-3 90% left - re-roll on Corridor table
4-5 90% right - re-roll on Corridor table

Junction
1-2. new corridor on left
2-4. new corridor on right
5. T-junction (no way forawrd must go left or right
6. Cross way - corridor splits right, left and forward
Choose a direction and roll on corridor again.

Exits (Archways and Doors)
Number of exits to new areas 1-3 one, 4-5 two , 6 three.
Location of exit (roughly) Left, right, opposite (if possible)
Type of exit
1-2 open archway,
2-5 Door,
6 locked, stone or reinforced door (break down?)

Exits/Archways/Doors
lead to..
1-4 Room
5-6 Corridor

Rooms
For now I want to keep this simple and just have a "small", "medium" and "large"
1-2 Small Room 10-20ft sq (2-4squares wide)
3-4 Medium room 30-40ft sq (6-8 squares wide)
5-6 Large Room 50ft-100ft sq (10-2- squares wide)

From those rooms there might be exits:
d6 (-1 for small room, +1 for large room)
1 and below: No exit
2-3: 1 exit
4-5: 2 exits
6 and over: 3 exits

I haven't got much further on mapping.

Further thoughts:

Room features may include architectural: stairs (to new level), pillars, cells in floor, well.
Exploring a room may trigger an encounter, trap or special (healing fountain, pedlar selling magic daggers).

Perhaps the wandering monster tables can be used to inhabit a room but the numbers have to be limited by the party size.

Sometimes there might be environmental hazards like extra slippy floors:- -1 to attacks or a sudden freakish occurrence like a anti-magic cloud or a Lawful Wind which penalises monsters, affects morale, and provides a a bonus to the player in attacks and saves.

Does anyone use systems like this with Basic?