The Great Question of Morale

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.

What should the abbreviation for Morale be in a monster stat line? (See picture before answering.)

Poll ended at Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:01 pm

Upper-case M, upper-case L
83%
Upper-case M, lower-case L
17%

Total votes: 36
Solomoriah
Site Admin

The Great Question of Morale

Post by Solomoriah »

One of the things we've been discussing lately is the standard abbreviation for Morale when listed in a monster stat line in a module. Here's an example of such a stat line:

Stirge: AC 13, HD 1, #At 1 bite, Dam 1d4 +1d4/round blood drain, Mv 10' Fly 60', Sv F1, Ml 9, XP 37

This is the old format, with upper-case M followed by lower-case L. As you may notice (depending on your screen font) it's a bit hard to decide if the second letter is lower-case L or upper-case I.

So we've discussed (and at present have in the style document) that the abbreviation should be all uppercase:

Stirge: AC 13, HD 1, #At 1 bite, Dam 1d4 +1d4/round blood drain, Mv 10' Fly 60', Sv F1, ML 9, XP 37

I was on board with this when our standard module font was still Century Gothic; however, now that we have Adventure BF I'm not sure I'm as clear on it. Here is an example, from a screenshot of LibreOffice showing the situation:
The Great Question of Morale.png
The Great Question of Morale.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Top left is Century Gothic with the correct letters ML with the second letter lowercase, and upper right is the incorrect letters. It's pretty obvious what the problem is.

The lower left is Adventure BF. Lower right, for completeness, is Soutane BF, though we should almost never need a stat line in that font.

So given this change, what should we do? Go with the all-uppercase abbreviation, or return to upper and lower?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Re: The Great Question of Morale

Post by Boggo »

not only is it clearer, it looks better
No matter where you go...there you are
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

I voted for ML for the sake of clarity. I do find it weird though that other abreviations keep the old format. I Would personally capitalize everything.

For example, Sv becomes SV and At becomes AT.
Danny Powell

Post by Danny Powell »

The ML is not only clearer but also how it is in old modules that I'm used to so it is what I'm looking for when skimming.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's running tied... y'all are going to make me decide, aren't you? :D
Vindeishi

Post by Vindeishi »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:38 pm I voted for ML for the sake of clarity. I do find it weird though that other abreviations keep the old format. I Would personally capitalize everything.

I second this.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Vindeishi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:05 pm
coureur_d_bois wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:38 pm I voted for ML for the sake of clarity. I do find it weird though that other abreviations keep the old format. I Would personally capitalize everything.

I second this.
Don't rush me here... this might be too much change for me. :D
Danny Powell

Post by Danny Powell »

I also think 'Solomoriah' should be 'SOLOMORIAH' from now on.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

of course I've always written Morale myself, partly because it's less confusing and doesn't make me think people are suddenly talking Miles, but because the Moldvay Basic box used Morale (and that's the only version I ever played with a Morale stat for monsters, and I've only ever used 1e AD&D modules, and not many of those so it's never been a thing for me) and it wrote it out in full
Last edited by Boggo on Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter where you go...there you are
Mars

Post by Mars »

Vindeishi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:05 pm

I second this.
I agree. From a copy-editor perspective, I like the consistency of having them all capitalized.

Danny Powell wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:41 pm I also think 'Solomoriah' should be 'SOLOMORIAH' from now on.
:lol:
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.