Rust Monster or Ironbane, part 2

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.

Which depiction will your Fighters run screaming from in 4E?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:15 pm

Rust Monster by Martin Wulfgar Siesto
61%
Ironbane by Martin Serena
39%

Total votes: 18
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Rust Monster or Ironbane, part 2

Post by Solomoriah »

So here they are, the original art for the Rust Monster and the revised art for what we were calling the Ironbane. Now that it will be one monster called Rust Monster (Ironbane), which depiction do we use? I'm leaving this open for two days.

Rust Monster by Martin Wulfgar Siesto

Ironbane by Martin Serena
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
LibraryLass

Re: Rust Monster or Ironbane, part 2

Post by LibraryLass »

Nothing against the noble rust monster but isn't the Ironbane just more interesting to look at?

And also far less likely to come afoul of artistic depictions owned by a certain tyrannical corporation?
miqued

Post by miqued »

Martin's is definitely an American South or Aussie variant whether it wins over or not... I'd call it something like "Corroder Shot", like a shotput of corrosive ability. I'd have to work on the name maybe, find something that rolls off the tongue easily. It looks like a cross between an armadillo and kangaroo, like it'd jump in the air to quickly cover distance, curling up like a cannonball, and smacking into people with things made with iron.
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:15 pm Ironbane by Martin Serena
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

LibraryLass wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:37 am Nothing against the noble rust monster but isn't the Ironbane just more interesting to look at?

And also far less likely to come afoul of artistic depictions owned by a certain tyrannical corporation?
I find the ironbane FAR more interesting as well
Wing_department

Post by Wing_department »

My preference of Ironbane is not that I like either of the drawings more than the other. It's just that if 4th edition includes the new drawing, I will be able to see both drawings in the books (in my physical 3e rulebook and in 4e PDF rulebook).
The biggest fan of Ockham's razor.
Mars

Post by Mars »

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd still go with the Rust Monster. But since having said as much on the last "Rust Monster or Ironbane" thread, I've come to further appreciate the innovative elements of the Ironbane. I think it'd be cool to develop a new monster, based on the art, that has the common "destroy metal" threat but different behaviors. It'd definitely be a good addition for the Field Guide.

I guess this all begs the question of whether nostalgia or innovation is of principle import.
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Support for the Ironbane is pretty strong... and I hate to lose Martin Serena's excellent drawing. But I also hate to lose Martin Siesto's art.

SO. I think we'll have both. I'll punch up the Ironbane's stats a bit, maybe less hit dice but more speed (to REALLY terrify the fighters) and I'll include them both.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mars

Post by Mars »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:21 am Support for the Ironbane is pretty strong... and I hate to lose Martin Serena's excellent drawing. But I also hate to lose Martin Siesto's art.

SO. I think we'll have both. I'll punch up the Ironbane's stats a bit, maybe less hit dice but more speed (to REALLY terrify the fighters) and I'll include them both.
Excellent!
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.