Submitting supplements without OpenOffice capability

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
feveredmonk

Submitting supplements without OpenOffice capability

Post by feveredmonk »

Hey all

I'm interested in sharing some of the things I have been working on in my own Basic Fantasy campaign, but as I use a Chromebook I'm unable to produce native OpenOffice-formatted documents. Is it acceptable to import a BF .odt file, edit that in Google Docs, to product the .odt and .pdf formats for consideration as a Supplement?

Thanks
Dimirag

Re: Submitting supplements without OpenOffice capability

Post by Dimirag »

--Moved to GD--

If the final works is either a .pdf or .odt there should be no problem with how you created.
In case it needs proper format editing then uploading just the .odt should be enough.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'd say in your case work on a more "basic" layout in Google Docs, export it to .odt (or even .rtf), upload that to Workshop, and one of us will be glad to help put it into its final form. 8-)
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

chiisu81 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 pm I'd say in your case work on a more "basic" layout in Google Docs, export it to .odt (or even .rtf), upload that to Workshop, and one of us will be glad to help put it into its final form. 8-)
Thank you! I've tested .odt to Google Docs and it imported alright, but I have no idea what the export looks like, of course. So I appreciate the opportunity to use what I have.
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:29 pm --Moved to GD--

If the final works is either a .pdf or .odt there should be no problem with how you created.
In case it needs proper format editing then uploading just the .odt should be enough.
Wonderful.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

I've tried to swap between Google Docs and LibreOffice recently, and for complex formatting, Google's OpenDocument compatibility is hit-or-miss. It's probably nothing that our LO Wizards couldn't fix, but it's quite annoying for mortals like me.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

feveredmonk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:37 pm
chiisu81 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 pm I'd say in your case work on a more "basic" layout in Google Docs, export it to .odt (or even .rtf), upload that to Workshop, and one of us will be glad to help put it into its final form. 8-)
Thank you! I've tested .odt to Google Docs and it imported alright, but I have no idea what the export looks like, of course. So I appreciate the opportunity to use what I have.
I recommend to first try without importing anything. Just type it up in Google Docs, using basic formatting, tables, etc. and we can go from there easily.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, stick to basic elements-of-style stuff, Text Body or Body Text, Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, and we can make it work.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org