Goopy Critters

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Goopy Critters

Post by Solomoriah »

Excellent statement of position, Leon. I was hoping for some discussion here.

Grouping them served a specific purpose that it does not serve any more. But, with that said, I don't have a strong opinion either way. The "generic" Jelly text describes how they are mindless creatures composes of living goo, and gives their only consistent feature, their resistance to mind control (haven't got one) and similar effects.

Having no strong opinion myself, I think that what the community wants is probably what I will do, though I am not committing to that yet. The main thing I wanted here wasn't an answer, but a discussion of options.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I'll point out that grouping all oozes together is pointedly not what 2e does, preferring the far more baroque, and frankly kind of dumb, option of grouping various types of oozes together-- jellies, puddings, slimes, etc. Thus such misbegotten nothings as the Dun Pudding, the Mustard Jelly, and the Olive Slime.

It is true that 3e groups the Black Pudding, Gelatinous Cube, Grey Ooze, and Ochre Jelly under the heading of "ooze" however.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Despite the eloquent logic of Leon's post, I still like the idea of them being grouped because of the commonality Solomoriah stated ("mindless creatures composed of living goo").

I've had the experience of flipping through the monster section of the core rules and wishing all the monsters of this type were grouped together. Thinking of them in fictional, story terms (which is the way I'm approaching the idea of creating/running adventures--though I feel obliged to express that I am very very new to trying my hand at the GM role), I group these creatures together in this way, and am interested in being able to first fill the "gooey, mindless threat" concept and then being able to look at the different options that fall within that concept.
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:21 pm Jelly, Black -> Black Pudding
Jelly, Glass -> Gelatinous Cube
Jelly, Green -> Green Slime
Jelly, Gray -> Gray Ooze
Jelly, Ruddy -> Ochre Jelly
Will the Necrotic Ooze from FG1 be sporked over into this group?

The description suggests it's yellow-white.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not bringing any additional squishy things into the Core.

We're adding enough stuff as it is.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org