BFRPG, CC, & Commercial Products

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
danielmark_n_3d

BFRPG, CC, & Commercial Products

Post by danielmark_n_3d »

With the Basic Fantasy RPG being released under CC-BY-SA, instead of CC-BY, will this have any effect on potential new commercial products such as a supplements or adventures? I am excited about the transition but just trying to wrap my head around any implications.
Dimirag

Re: BFRPG, CC, & Commercial Products

Post by Dimirag »

Commercializing has never being a part of BFRPG design.
Everything will be available under the new CC, which allows for commercial use outside of some parts that has never being available for commercialization outside of Solo's grasp.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
danielmark_n_3d

Post by danielmark_n_3d »

Totally understand, I am more just trying to understand. I appreciate your response! When you say some things, do you mean the branding of Basic Fantasy RPG?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I may be wrong but I thing that yes, the name, the logo, its art, and maybe something else aren't open for be used on commercial products.

Solo will surely correct anything I got wrong, and sorry if I messed up any info.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The branding is protected under the new rules, but... less so. I no longer can say who can claim compatibility, but I do own or have license to all the branding artwork.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Theoretically people could sell "Basic Fantasy Compatible" stuff, but they could not sell actual "Basic Fantasy" stuff, right?
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Dimirag wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:13 pm Theoretically people could sell "Basic Fantasy Compatible" stuff, but they could not sell actual "Basic Fantasy" stuff, right?
That was true before and is still true now. "Odysseys & Overlords" is one example.
leon

Post by leon »

The ShareAlike part of the license means that if someone were to remix any of the BFRPG material, they must offer the the entirety of their new work under the same CC BY-SA license. For instance, if you heavily edit BFRPG to be themed like John Carter of Mars, everything new you wrote would also have to be CC BY-SA. You can still sell your product, but you can't stop anyone from sharing it freely or even selling it themselves. IANAL but that's my understanding.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Exactly, Leon.

Adventures using Basic Fantasy RPG rules can be sold without applying CC at all, as long as they only use numeric stats and names, and write their own text otherwise. In strictest principle, they could be legally liable if the owner of the rights of the game were to press the point.

But that's me. And I won't.

Under US law, as I understand it, they can even claim compatibility with Basic Fantasy RPG by name as a "nominative" usage. OGL wouldn't permit that, because OGL was and is dysfunctional.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org