[Homebrew] About the hit points/life points...

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Athalawulfs

[Homebrew] About the hit points/life points...

Post by Athalawulfs »

Hello, everyone!

Well, I've decided to use BFRPG as my main system for my future campaign, but there are some aspects of it that I'm willing to change so I can adapt and adequate the whole thing to my homebrew scenario.

Some other changes, however, concern more personal preferences than anything else. One example is: the Life Points.

Does anybody here use higher Life Points?

I mean, if I wanted to increase the Life Points of the characters in general, would it make the game unbalanced in any way?

Otherwise, I really think the players would die really soon, because they (myself included) are used to higher Life Points.

Thanks in advance!
Jacerent omnia in tenebris, nisi litterarum lumen accederet.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: [Homebrew] About the hit points/life points...

Post by Solomoriah »

Higher hit points becomes unbalancing at higher levels; also, if you give PCs more, for fairness you should give NPCs more (and then you need to consider humanoid monsters...)

Go download Iron Falcon '75 for a different take on hit points in a game like Basic Fantasy.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Its not uncommon to start with full HD, but more than that is rare.
If you go with higher HP at every level pc's survivability will increase, maybe that is what you are after. If you change this but don't change it for the opposing side, you'll be giving the characters a big edge.
If you want to increase HP at lower levels but not a higher ones, you'll have to tinker with the values level by level compare to the core rulebook.

You can change the HD, maybe one die lower with a +2 bonus, they'll be inside normal range but on the tougher side of the scale.

Low HP values is a feature of the game style, its more about choosing your battles rather than go and fight everything.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

As Dimirag said up there, the OSR style is as much about knowing when to run away as how well you fight, it's really the game style of back in the olden days, running away to fight another day was SO much the thing (it's where all the jokes about adventurers having a 15 minute work day came from)
No matter where you go...there you are