does armor weight count toward carrying capacity?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Greg_A

Re: does armor weight count toward carrying capacity?

Post by Greg_A »

If you dig real deep on how the game was played in the olden days, encumbrance is a key factor in controlling PC wealth in the same manner of Solo's comment about minimum strength. This also leads to why there are rules for retainers. Retainers hauling out loot usually pays their salary.

My DM is ruthless in this, and when we get a little quality loot there are piles of copper and silver we just leave behind. Where do you think all the kobolds & goblins get all that stuff lol! :lol:
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:14 am Metro, old friend, as written is obviously the best way here.

:D

If you do vary, it's better to ignore the weight of armor than to not use the movement reduction for armor type.
As written is usually the best way but I like to suggest options. I use the ignore the weight when worn in my personal games I run but that is just my personal taste.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Just last night my players spent about 10 minutes redistributing who was carrying what before they continued on with exploring (luckily because the next room had an Ogre in it, which they wanted to run away from (sadly 1 of the party was at 10' movement and the rest at 20', a bit slow to flee an ogre with 30') anyway after the fight they had 800ep to deal with, let's just say it was a very slow wounded march back to town...

I hate the coin weights all the way back through their history, but it DOES make the players have to think about how to cope with how and where to carry stuff (ironically the three gems the Ogre also had were worth 3 times as much as the EP, but they've decided to wait to get those valued?????)
No matter where you go...there you are
Mars

Post by Mars »

Boggo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:47 pm I hate the coin weights all the way back through their history, but it DOES make the players have to think about how to cope with how and where to carry stuff
Having read the rules and gotten the concept of encumbrance, I'd definitely be choosy about the coins I picked up as a player character. Why bother with copper pieces at all?

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:19 am By the way... including the weight of the armor, where plate mail weighs 50 pounds and the average player character has a capacity of 60 for a light load, is a form of "minimum Strength" since at 13 the capacity is 65 pounds, at 16 it's 70, at 18 it's 80. The armor counts for less the stronger you are, and for a first level fighter Strength can mean everything anyway.
Solomoriah's statement is an interesting one, though, in how it relates to attribute requirements for a fighter. Is 13 (slightly above average) not really enough to be a great fighter? Do you have to be more maxed out (16 or higher) to have a decent chance with the rules as written?
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Mars wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:11 am
Boggo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:47 pm I hate the coin weights all the way back through their history, but it DOES make the players have to think about how to cope with how and where to carry stuff
Having read the rules and gotten the concept of encumbrance, I'd definitely be choosy about the coins I picked up as a player character. Why bother with copper pieces at all?

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:19 am By the way... including the weight of the armor, where plate mail weighs 50 pounds and the average player character has a capacity of 60 for a light load, is a form of "minimum Strength" since at 13 the capacity is 65 pounds, at 16 it's 70, at 18 it's 80. The armor counts for less the stronger you are, and for a first level fighter Strength can mean everything anyway.
Solomoriah's statement is an interesting one, though, in how it relates to attribute requirements for a fighter. Is 13 (slightly above average) not really enough to be a great fighter? Do you have to be more maxed out (16 or higher) to have a decent chance with the rules as written?
No character in my current game of any class has a 16 ability at all, there is one 15 and a couple of 14's among the 4 of them, 16+ in Strength is truly outstanding as in WOW that guy is the strongest guy I've ever seen in my entire life outstanding, the thing is, without chewing up a lot of player weight allowance with things they have to have on them, they will strip the dungeons bare, like a cloud of locusts with longswords!
No matter where you go...there you are
Mars

Post by Mars »

That's good to know, Boggo. Thanks.
Check out my online dice store: https://thediceking.com.