4e Combined Option supplement

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Boggo

4e Combined Option supplement

Post by Boggo »

I have been thinking, and purely on an organisational level would it perhaps be an advantage, when the Class Options, and Combat Options supplements are updated to the new license to maybe roll them all together into a "Player Options Supplement" maybe duplicating the optional rules from the core rulebook into the same supplement (leaving them in the core book, just duplicating them in the supplement) with tickboxes as the class supplements have to make it easy to identify which optional rules you are using, especially if they are all collected, much easier to keep organised from a usage point of view (and combining Combat Options, Fighter Options, Cleric Options, Magic User Options, Thief Options AND the optional rules from the core book is still only going to be about 18 pages.
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: 4e Combined Option supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

My knee-jerk reaction is "no" as it seems a violation of my answer to the endless Companion Supplement question(s).

Hmm.

I'm going to say "no" but leave the thread open for discussion. I don't expect you to be able to convince me, but I'll allow you to try.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

I would prefer to keep the Core Rules as simple as possible. The amount of rules in 3e was just perfect for me.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

it's not really something I feel especially strongly about, it just seems more convenient if all the character options are in one place. I already grab all the ones I'm using and combine them into my house rules document, it would basically mean I wouldn't need a house rules document, just mark the ones I'm using
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:10 pm I would prefer to keep the Core Rules as simple as possible. The amount of rules in 3e was just perfect for me.
I'm not suggesting changing the core rules at all, just taking the 5 Option supplements and combining them into one to make it easier to keep track of them
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

See, I like the ala carte nature of the supplements as they are. I don't think we even use the checkboxes anywhere except Magic-User Options, making the process of setting up a new game easy; you just name the supplements you are using.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:20 pm See, I like the ala carte nature of the supplements as they are. I don't think we even use the checkboxes anywhere except Magic-User Options, making the process of setting up a new game easy; you just name the supplements you are using.
Actually Magic-User doesn't use them, only Combat Options and Fighter Options have them.

I actually am not using supplements mainly because I have a DB folder for my players with all the documents they will need, it has Core Rules, EE and my own House rules in it to keep it simple (at the moment the house rules only has some of the combat options in it) but honestly I'm not attached enough to this idea to mount an argument that would convince anyone (Though I do think when they are updated they need a bit of a going over to make them more consistent, whether they get combined or not)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Huh, had that backwards in my head.

Magic-User Options SHOULD use them. I may do a rewrite myself when we relicense it.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:56 pm Huh, had that backwards in my head.

Magic-User Options SHOULD use them. I may do a rewrite myself when we relicense it.
Thief and Cleric probably should as well (though those two are pretty short anyway, Thief only being a single page)
artikid

Post by artikid »

I like BFRPG's modularity as is.
It's easier for both the DMs and for the creators, imho.