4e Combined Option supplement

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Boggo

Re: 4e Combined Option supplement

Post by Boggo »

artikid wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:05 am I like BFRPG's modularity as is.
It's easier for both the DMs and for the creators, imho.
as a GM I find it harder, but I'm more than happy just combining the bits I use (I'm not using many expansions because if I wanted all that stuff I'd just play AD&D) into my house rules document, I grew to hate rules scattered over many sources in the 80's
No matter where you go...there you are
artikid

Post by artikid »

Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:24 am
as a GM I find it harder, but I'm more than happy just combining the bits I use (I'm not using many expansions because if I wanted all that stuff I'd just play AD&D) into my house rules document, I grew to hate rules scattered over many sources in the 80's
Me too, but it was the case of rules scattered over many sources containing different materials (like setting, monsters, magic, character stuff...), and that is what the Companion would become.
The way things work now, each supplement is its own discrete amount of information.
I find it easier to pick and chose the single documents than to pick and chose rules from a document that is mixed bag of things.
The same goes for editing and updating the supplements.
My 2cp
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

artikid wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:10 am
Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:24 am
Me too, but it was the case of rules scattered over many sources containing different materials (like setting, monsters, magic, character stuff...), and that is what the Companion would become.
The way things work now, each supplement is its own discrete amount of information.
I find it easier to pick and chose the single documents than to pick and chose rules from a document that is mixed bag of things.
The same goes for editing and updating the supplements.
My 2cp
Except I'm talking about the supplements that do the same thing just for each class being rolled together, the EE has already done similar since it has the Armour and Shields supplement, and the Equipment Pack supplement folded into it
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Not every GM will use all the supplements for each class, some will use just one, combining them will just create unneeded extra pages.
And will also open the flood gates to wanting other combination of supplements.
Having no such combo puts every supplement on the same level.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:40 am Except I'm talking about the supplements that do the same thing just for each class being rolled together, the EE has already done similar since it has the Armour and Shields supplement, and the Equipment Pack supplement folded into it
There were arguments over EE for containing so much, but the demand was high enough and consistent enough to override my concerns.

See, Boggo, the issue is that many people (especially in the early days) thought that Basic Fantasy was "almost perfect" and just needed "one or two things added." The problem was that there was little if any consistency from one person to the next as to what exactly those "one or two things" were.

EE was a case where almost everyone who was interested in it wanted it the way it is now.

Anything I roll into the Core, even if described as "optional" will be expected, if not demanded by players. "It must be okay, it's in the Core Rules!" I don't want to give players that kind of leverage. This way the GM can say "I'm running Basic Fantasy RPG with Half Humans, Gnomes, Thief Options, and Combat Options" and the players know exactly what's being offered.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I neglected to point out that yes, you are talking about a combined supplement book, not the Core. But if I assemble such a thing, the GM who says they are using it may be handing the same kind of leverage to the players.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:32 am
Boggo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:40 am Except I'm talking about the supplements that do the same thing just for each class being rolled together, the EE has already done similar since it has the Armour and Shields supplement, and the Equipment Pack supplement folded into it
There were arguments over EE for containing so much, but the demand was high enough and consistent enough to override my concerns.

See, Boggo, the issue is that many people (especially in the early days) thought that Basic Fantasy was "almost perfect" and just needed "one or two things added." The problem was that there was little if any consistency from one person to the next as to what exactly those "one or two things" were.

EE was a case where almost everyone who was interested in it wanted it the way it is now.

Anything I roll into the Core, even if described as "optional" will be expected, if not demanded by players. "It must be okay, it's in the Core Rules!" I don't want to give players that kind of leverage. This way the GM can say "I'm running Basic Fantasy RPG with Half Humans, Gnomes, Thief Options, and Combat Options" and the players know exactly what's being offered.
Though some of the options in the various classes are mutually exclusive as well, and if I were to use them I certainly wouldn't use most of the ones in any of the supplements. But it's no big deal I will just keep doing it as I am
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The "Piecemeal Supplements" are a Feature... not some oversight.

Avoiding perceived "correct" supplements (like Solomoriah says) allows greater control over games' content, especially when there are multiple versions of similar topics. You just take what works best for your campaign... nothing more.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Danny Powell

Post by Danny Powell »

I agree with keeping the addons as separate files. When I first got into BFRPG I thought it would be good to have a compiled book like that but shortly realised that such a book would start to feel like the 'standard' for playing the game rather than an option.

Having it the way it is forced me to print out the selected options that I wanted for my game which I keep in a folder along with my printed books.

Definitely helps keep the core of the game more straight forward and avoids the bloat that I've seen happen in so many games.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Like another recent thread: This has been asked and answered, both in this thread and previously. Closing thread.