Anyone who uses Revolt (Discord alternative)?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Neigdoig

Anyone who uses Revolt (Discord alternative)?

Post by Neigdoig »

I'm not a Discord user, though it is very popular. I'm just one of those people who's using as much open-source software as possible. That said, I'm a Revolt user myself, and it's just as good as Discord, though not as polished. It's licensed under AGPL-3, and is in active development (Heck, I even run my YouTube channel's server on there). Though there is a rather small userbase, you could bridge servers to Discord using specialized bots that can handle both.
miqued

Re: Anyone who uses Revolt (Discord alternative)?

Post by miqued »

I didn't know this existed. Checking it out now. I like Discord's functionality for the most part, but I've always disliked its closed-source nature. It also doesn't screenshare with audio on Linux, so it's really annoying on movie night.
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
Hamish The PolarBear

Post by Hamish The PolarBear »

I haven't heard of that one but I tend to use projects that plug in to the Fediverse. For my "live chat" community I use Matrix, for "social posting" I use Mastodon and for streaming I use Owncast.
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

miqued wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:06 pm I didn't know this existed. Checking it out now. I like Discord's functionality for the most part, but I've always disliked its closed-source nature. It also doesn't screenshare with audio on Linux, so it's really annoying on movie night.
I think the best bet on that front is to use Jitsi for screen share, since Revolt doesn't have those features implemented yet. They do have video and audio calls, though.
Hamish The PolarBear wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:51 am I haven't heard of that one but I tend to use projects that plug in to the Fediverse. For my "live chat" community I use Matrix, for "social posting" I use Mastodon and for streaming I use Owncast.
Revolt is not federated, and Insert (the guy behind the project) said that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. I was thinking of Mastadon (since I used an instance), but it has its problems. I also thought of using Nostr for such activities. I also use Matrix on occasion as well.

For streaming, I also considered using Owncast, but then again, I would want to stream on YouTube without the spying nonsense (there is an open-source server for those purposes that fellow creator A1RM4X did a tutorial on if I'm not mistaken that mitigates some of the spying).

Edit: Just a quick update on this matter, but if anybody was interested in learning how to set up a Revolt account as a viable option to do TTRPG gaming in the future, I'm more than happy to help!