Linux and UNIX and command lines (oh my!)

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Neigdoig

Re: Linux and UNIX and command lines (oh my!)

Post by Neigdoig »

This is an area I specialize in (though I am no expert in Linux, be forewarned).

I started my journey through Linux on Manjaro in 2020, which is a stinker now looking back, but it was a good start for me. Being tech savvy, I thought it was a good idea. Months later, I would install Garuda Linux KDE (for gaming purposes). That would also bring about issues I didn't know came from my monitor (a Windows monitor mind you). I've tried more systems like Mint, Nobara, and even Pop_OS!.

Right now, though, I'm sticking to Mint as it has worked well for me, for the most part as a content creator myself, but also for stability and software compatibility for most FLOSS out there.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm about ready to try Mint on my home system. OS lives on an SSD, personal files on a pair of large spinny disks, so it's just a matter of making a copy of my config files and going for it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Mint and Cinnamon have worked well for me at home 8-)
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

I have been using Mint for years. I tried many other distros and releases but Mint is the one that has always worked for me.
miqued

Post by miqued »

I got into Linux when my mom's vista desktop got messed up somehow. A gateway box if I remember right. Couldn't find the product key to reinstall it, so things weren't looking good. I was in my teens, looked up "free windows operating system" and, thankfully, Ubuntu came up instead of what would surely have been malware.

I had a good season of changing distros like socks, settled on Ubuntu Gnome for awhile which turned into regular ubuntu, then when the snap thing started I went to Manjaro KDE on my desktop, and Arch on my laptop. The only thing stopping me from putting Arch on my desktop is that, for now, it works. My CPU sometimes gives an error that makes it shut down, but as far as I can tell it's a hardware thing not software.

I don't have such a storied experience with Linux as many of you do, but I've been using it exclusively for at least 4 years now. Before that, college kept me from being able to use it, with its special software requirements
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

Xubuntu checking in -- the whole snap thing in the new release is a major annoyance (especially with Firefox) but not enough yet to make me look for another distribution. If it can run emacs I'm good! On servers, Debian all the way.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Emacs??? Bah. vim. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:42 pm Emacs??? Bah. vim. :D
LOL -- I actually use both vim and emacs on a daily basis, but in for different tasks. I tend to use vim to make specific changes to existing files that have a defined structure (like config files or git commit messages with a template). What I like about vim is that its command model translates well to scripting -- once you've done a particular kind of edit a few times you can often translate those steps into sed/awk/perl and automate the process.

On the other hand, I use emacs for more free-form tasks like coding or just writing in general. Org mode is amazing in this regard. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to export .org to ODT with the BFRPG stylesheet!
knghtbrd

Post by knghtbrd »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:42 pm MATE Desktop for me. I loved Gnome 2 and hated Gnome 3 with passion.
My issue with gnome 3 is more the devs than the code. I don't much like other people making decisions for me what I'm allowed to want, let alone need from my software.

Most of all, I need my software to get out of my way so I can do stuff. But then, I mostly use a lot of terminals.
neovim! Same great taste, but the codebase isn't a massive pile of spaghetti.
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

I may be the only normie on here that uses Nano. I've tried learning Vim, but boy is it hard to understand sometimes. It's twisted my brain up into a ball of electrical wire, dangerous enough for probably a maggot of some sort.