Searchable Bestiary

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
toddlyons

Searchable Bestiary

Post by toddlyons »

I stumbled across "The Free Bestiary" the other day. Forgive me if it's been discussed before.

It has a search box for monsters from the Core book, plus Field Guides 1 & 2, and it's very fast. I couldn't thumb through the books nearly as quickly.

The only thing that struck me as odd was that it also uses art from the books. Does he have permission for that?

Useful resource though.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Searchable Bestiary

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks Todd. I'm impressed, honestly, but using the art without my permission (or permission from each and every individual author) is a no-no. And, I want THAT on OUR site.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

You're welcome, Solo. Perhaps you could clone it and run it on this site from a header link like you do with WordPress and phpBB? Unless he can just run it for you, with your blessing? He seems like a decent guy; he makes no secret about how much he loves your system on that project's Homepage. No pretending; no serial numbers filed off.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I would prefer to have a proper license statement of some kind there, to be honest, and I need to have given consent for the artwork. If I did, I don't remember it. Not that that proves anything.
slaberdab

Post by slaberdab »

Dang, this is a super nice website. Good find! Assuming it's allowed to stay up (or gets moved over to here), I'm 100% going to be using it with my games.
"It's truly, truly been... a very long roundabout path."
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

slaberdab wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:07 pm Dang, this is a super nice website. Good find! Assuming it's allowed to stay up (or gets moved over to here), I'm 100% going to be using it with my games.
Thanks! I hope something can be worked out. The developer may not have understood that the license for art is different than the license for text. An honest mistake.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not planning on busting his chops or anything, just want everything sorted out nice and legal.

I mean, he's already sharing. I just want some coordination.
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

Whoa. This is pretty cool!
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
clayadavis

Post by clayadavis »

Hey, author of The Free Bestiary here, big fan of BFRPG. Glad you all found my little project useful! I made it for personal use so I could quickly pull up monsters on my phone during sessions.

> The developer may not have understood that the license for art is different than the license for text. An honest mistake.

Yeah that's what happened. This was also for personal use and I kinda forgot it was publicly available, I never promoted it or anything.

The site is static HTML generated with the Nikola static site generator using a custom theme. It should thus be pretty easy to embed or link from this site. I'm happy to help out in that effort.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have your Github source downloaded. If you don't mind, I'll get it up on our site sometime soon. We will of course have to dramatically update it at some point.