Discussing Introductory Modules from RPG Research

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Discussing Introductory Modules from RPG Research

Post by Solomoriah »

rpgresearch wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:52 pm We are big advocates for financial accessibility, especially since our community programs work with so many populations that struggle significantly with finances.

In further conversations, we're getting good feedback that separating the player-only materials (SAMs) from the GM-only, is preferred by a number of GMs, especially those of us working with players that struggle with significant impulse control issues. They would find it easier to resist "cheating"and reading the GM adventures if in a separate book. Yes it is very easy for them to just download it and read them, but they indicate the "firewall" separating the two documents would help them resist more than if it was in the same book. And the GMs, due to how low the costs are for these small books, are okay with paying separately. Generally they would buy 1-3 of the player-focused printed copies, and have one of the GM-focused copies for themselves or other aspiring GMs.
I think, based on that feedback, and notably from some of our ADHD, incarcerated, and mental health players, that it is worth the slight additional cost for the GMs, to have them as two separate books, but no need to be more than that. If we, or the community want to add to the SAMs or GM Introductory adventures, it is recommended to just add them to one of the two appropriate books, rather than spin off many different ones. Thoughts?
Two books it is.

An additional note here... 8.5" x 11" paperbacks are the cheapest kind. Since classic RPG books were that size, I gravitated directly to that size back in 2006, and that's why I don't publish any other size. Lots of people want me to do digest-size books but I just don't have the time to fight layout twice for every book. For your purposes, given that cost is a consideration, I recommend staying with our standard form factor.

And another note... Lulu will do coilbound books. For a player doing a SAM book, this is an absolute win. They are more expensive though. Offering all three types on Lulu (paperback, coilbound, and hardback) allows flexibility for the buyer. Amazon only offers paperback and hardback, but usually has the cheapest paperback format.
rpgresearch wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:52 pm Excellent! I am very much an advocate of the opensource technology world, and love how BFRPG follows a similar model. We are very open and sharing of this kind of content, and we welcome your guidance and ideas. Again, kudos and thank you so much for all your hard work to have gotten this endeavor to such a well fleshed-out level of development and such a vibrantly engaged community!
Good, we're on the same page.
rpgresearch wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:52 pm As we near finalizing the adventures themselves, we'll gladly undertake the open suggestions polling approach for more imaginative names. Typically we start with a technically accurate working title while working on the project, and then as it solidifies and inspires more creative naming, we incorporate that into the titles. We welcome your suggestions for better titles when the time comes. :-)
My brain is fried, but there are a lot of people here who will surely offer help.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rpgresearch

Post by rpgresearch »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:00 pm An additional note here... 8.5" x 11" paperbacks are the cheapest kind. Since classic RPG books were that size, I gravitated directly to that size back in 2006, and that's why I don't publish any other size. Lots of people want me to do digest-size books but I just don't have the time to fight layout twice for every book. For your purposes, given that cost is a consideration, I recommend staying with our standard form factor.
That was our plan as well. We have purchased all of the BFRPG books, and most of our books are in 8.5x11 format as well, so no worries there.
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:00 pm And another note... Lulu will do coilbound books. For a player doing a SAM book, this is an absolute win. They are more expensive though. Offering all three types on Lulu (paperback, coilbound, and hardback) allows flexibility for the buyer. Amazon only offers paperback and hardback, but usually has the cheapest paperback format.
We're totally flexible on that, certainly. The hope was to use the usual BFRPG outlets. :)
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:00 pm My brain is fried, but there are a lot of people here who will surely offer help.
I bet! You have a lot on your plate this month! Best wishes to you!
Our founder RPGing since 1977, we're a 501(c)3 non-profit research & human services charitable organization studying the effects of all RPG formats: tabletop, live-action, electronic, & hybrids. http://www.rpgresearch.com
Ka_Kshüshü

Post by Ka_Kshüshü »

Hi Hawke, I'm guessing that you're waiting on the module until all this OGL drama passes (I'm not convinced it's over until the ORC is release by Paizo, and on BFRPG's front the 4th edition is finalized). But as an SLP I would love to help out with an introductory module in any way I can.

I see that you're based out of Spokane. I'm in Wenatchee.
rpgresearch

Post by rpgresearch »

Hi there!
We have been in Wenatchee more than once for our Washington State Therapeutic Recreation Association conference presentations there.
Let us know if you are in the Spokane area and we can meet you at the RPG Community Center at 101 North Stone Street. :)

Meanwhile, quick status update. I am making progress, but I've been trying to finish the Certified Role-Playing Game Professional Third Edition training workbooks, study guides, and online courses for publication first, but then I have to hurry and finish the BFRPG modules, because they are now tightly coupled with the certification program requirements. We're still RFC (Request for Comments) peer-review iterating the final details in some areas (we know all the topics to cover, it is just how many and when during the training process that we've been reorganizing). https://rpgprofessionals.com and the Applied gaming workflow (still a work in progress): https://rpg.llc/training/applied-gaming-list

Obviously some of this is purely hypothetical at this point, and I'm not even sure there is enough developed at the higher levels (yet) for BFRPG to fully map to this, so these higher level ones will evolve over years, but here is the roadmap we're working from and hope the community will be as excited as we are to undertake this endeavor over time.

This has grown in scope from the original discussion somewhat.

Currently in the queue for BFRPG introductory modules:
Book 1: Solo Adventure Modules (SAM)
SAM 1 (title pending): base basics similar to BECMI Players Manual first adventure as far as what is covered.

SAM 2 (title pending): add to basics as far as what is learned, but still using pregenerated.

SAM 3: go through a solo adventure as a non-class initially, and based on your choices in the adventure, shapes what you character will be. At the end of the adventure have a basic full version of a generated PC based on your choices in the adventure. Great for folks that don't know yet what they should choose for race and class, so their style of play choices will help them create that character.

SAM 4: learn a few of the additional optional rules, classes, races, and equipment options beyond the core basics in SAM 3. Optionally add these to new or existing PC. Potentially get to second level, though likely still at first level. Basic information for leveling up if qualify. Generally recommend optionally going through SAMs 5 and 6 for the upgrade process as a fun game process, instead of just a mechanical process.

SAM 5: learn even more additional rules options, creatures, treasures, magic items, equipment, classes, races, rules, etc. Upgrade PC with these additional options, or create new PC now that have better idea of what might want if no longer want to continue with previous PC(s). If staying with same PC may very well be leveling up to level 2, so include instructions on this upgrade process. Generally recommend optionally going through SAM 6 for the upgrade process as a fun game process, instead of just a mechanical process.

SAM 6: adventure(s) specifically to go through the level increase process through adventure and role-play process. Finding a mentor (optional), etc. Can be just mechanical walk through of leveling up, but might enjoy the adventure approach for a more role-play approach to leveling up.

SAM 7: All the previous adventures were more one-short or short-shot focused. Now going to start setting up for the player and GM being in their first longer-lasting campaign setting with the intention of many connected sessions for the adventures and locations.

SAM 8: All the previous adventures generally for levels 1-3, which roughly maps to the BECMI "Basic" levels 1-3. Now preparing to come out from the dungeon crawls and small towns, to more wilderness and larger scope adventures and campaigns. This is roughly equivalent to the BECMI "Expert" levels 4-8. Helps with additional leveling up, preparing for wilderness adventures, growing beyond just the small town home base to larger environments like larger towns and small cities. Start to "travel the world" a bit.

SAM 9: Higher level PCs and adventures and campaigns, roughly equivalent to BECMI "Expert" X-series adventure levels 8-14.

SAM 10: Building PC dominions, settling in with keeps, manors, lordship, etc. roughly equivalent to BECMI "Companion" C-series adventures, levels 15-25.

SAM 11: introduction to extremely high-level adventures, multi-planar adventures and political/deities intrigue, and much more. Roughly equivalent to the BECMI "Master" M-series adventures, levels 26-36..

SAM 12: introduction to epic/heroic/demi-god level adventures. Roughly equivalent to BECMI "Immortals" I-series adventures of 36+ level. Totally optional, heavily engaged in deity-level mega-adventures and campaigns.

Book 2: First Time GM Modules:
First Time GM Adventure 1 (title pending): GM has only gone through SAM 1 and SAM 2, and has 1 or more other players that have only gone through SAMs 1 and 2 at least, (and optionally SAM 3). GM and Players use pregens provided in the adventure, or PC generated from SAM3 (or other options) for using their own PC. Assumes zero prior GM experience and goes very slow and railroady for the benefit of both the first time GM and player(s).
Only very minimal basic BFRPG rules, no optional or advanced equipment, creatures, classes, races, etc.

First Time GM Adventure 2 (title pending): GM has run through Adventure 1 with very minimal basic rules and PC. Now adventure 2 builds on what is learned in SAM 3 and SAM 4 to add a few more options. PC should still be first level, but might just make it to second level possibly.
At the end of this second adventure, GM (and player) should feel better about trying out the regularly published 1st level adventures out there from others.

First Time GM Adventure 3 (title pending): GM now leveling up PCs or already have second level PCs. Go through adventure specifically for 2nd level beginner players and GM.

First time GM Adventure 4: GM now learning to prepare and run their first longer adventure. Before mostly one-shots and short-shots, now preparing for a mini-campaign and working up toward full longitudinal campaign settings, preparation and planning. Roughly equivalent to the BECMI B-Series levels 1-3 adventures.

First time GM Adventure 5: building on SAM 8, larger campaign scope, wilderness adventures, etc. Roughly equivalent to BECMI "Expert" X-series adventures levels 4-8.

First Time GM Adventure 6: building on SAM 9, roughly equivalent to BECMI "Expert" X-series adventure levels 8-12.

First Time GM Adventure 7: building on SAM 10, inter-kingdom political intrigue and resources management of own lands and resources. Helping PC build dominions, settling in with keeps, manors, lordship, etc. roughly equivalent to BECMI "Companion" C-series adventures, levels 15-25.

First Time GM Adventure 8: building on SAM 11, introduction to preparing and managing very long-term and extremely high-level adventures and keep players engaged over years and years of game play, multi-planar adventures and political/deities intrigue, and much more. Roughly equivalent to the BECMI "Master" M-series adventures, levels 26-36+.

First Time GM Adventure 9: building on SAM 12, how to keep super-high-level many-years long campaigns and mega-high-level adventures still fun and interesting for players and the GM, introduction to epic/heroic/demi-god level adventures. Roughly equivalent to BECMI "Immortals" I-series adventures of 36+ level. Totally optional, heavily engaged in deity-level mega-adventures and campaigns.

Will post periodic updates, but wanted everyone to know that while this is a slow progression, it is advancing steadily.
Cheers!
-Hawke Robinson
Our founder RPGing since 1977, we're a 501(c)3 non-profit research & human services charitable organization studying the effects of all RPG formats: tabletop, live-action, electronic, & hybrids. http://www.rpgresearch.com