A Manifesto of Sorts, which is a Plan as well

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: A Manifesto of Sorts, which is a Plan as well

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll probably create a new page for OGL downloads and move them all there, and then empty Downloads and refill it with CC materials as they become available.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

Have you considered the Open RPG Creative License by Paizo and other DnD competitors, Solo? Creative Commons (the version you're using) is approved for cultural works, and if I'm not mistaken, that could be the same for ORC.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

I don't think we need ORC at all for Basic Fantasy. Most of the mechanics BF uses are likely not going to be in ORC. If anything, Basic Fantasy could very well become its own license and I wouldn't be surprised if many new games use it as a basis for their own.
Demetrius

Post by Demetrius »

Neigdoig wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:44 pm Have you considered the Open RPG Creative License by Paizo and other DnD competitors, Solo?
It has been considered, you can see the discussion in the topic The new OGL and BFRPG, page 9 (including Solomoriah's answers on the page 10).
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

Demetrius wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 pm It has been considered, you can see the discussion in the topic The new OGL and BFRPG, page 9 (including Solomoriah's answers on the page 10).
I see where he's coming from, being that his distrust for these new licenses is the right call in my opinion. CC-BY-SA isn't all too bad though, as it is a Cultural Works approved license, so BFRPG will have even more reach if done right.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

How could I do it wrong?
Neigdoig

Post by Neigdoig »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:20 pm How could I do it wrong?
I hadn't analyzed the full situation context for me yet. I asked that question not knowing the context at that time. It takes me a bit to get the situation fully, that's all.
apfel2pomme

Post by apfel2pomme »

Even without the context, I believe the cc-by-sa is good enough to the bfrpg community. I know some games that use versions of creative commons with success since it was first implemented. A good example of game with a vivid community like this one that also uses cc and I player for some time was the dungeonslayers.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Spent some time tonight tracking down contributors for BF2 to get consent; I have BF1 taken care of as well as is probably possible, and plan to proceed with it. Just two contributors for BF2 have not consented yet, and I have tracked them both down and sent them messages... here's hoping they are still around and are agreeable.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... and now I've messaged the missing contributors for BF3 as well. Here's hoping I can reach them all.