CS3 Mysterious Island Contest

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
sean8223

Re: Mysterious Island Contest

Post by sean8223 »

I made two outline variants of the island map "Mysterious Island R0.png" -- one that has all of the hexes, numbers and terrain details removed; and a similar version that retains the hexes.

Both are based on traces of the original file, have the same dimensions and were exported at 600 dpi. I'm sharing them here in the hopes that they may be of use as player handouts, or for other contest authors to use as a starting point for their own treasure maps or similar props.

I am unable to attach the Inkscape file that these were derived from because the forum doesn't seem to recognize the file extension (.svg), but I can provide this as well if anyone is interested.
Attachments
Mysterious Island R0 Outline Hexes.png
Mysterious Island R0 Outline Hexes.png (48.08 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Mysterious Island R0 Outline.png
Mysterious Island R0 Outline.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:19 pm . . .
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create an adventure using these parts. You must place the three encounter areas (by indicating the hex number) and key each of them (they're small, don't worry!) You may add additional placed encounters if you wish, but in the interest of fairness you may not add any maps beyond those provided here.

In addition, you should provide a fully-statted encounter table of at least 4 encounters and at most 10 for the island itself, as well as providing any encounters needed for the dungeon areas. (If you do not feel that a dungeon area would have random encounters due to the conditions or inhabitants thereof, just note that in your submission.) Finally, you must provide the "hook" or introduction that leads the adventurers to this island... how did they get here? Shipwreck? Following a treasure map? Listening to a drunken sea captain in a dive bar in some city?

. . .
Correct me if I'm reading this wrong. Do we need to label every hex or just the ones where an event/encounter/pre-set location would be? I am just trying to make sure I'm not overthinking this.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just note where the three dungeons are located. The encounter table mentioned is supposed to be random encounters. Though if you really want to, you may mark special encounters for other hexes (as indicated by "You may add additional placed encounters...").
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 pm Just note where the three dungeons are located. The encounter table mentioned is supposed to be random encounters. Though if you really want to, you may mark special encounters for other hexes (as indicated by "You may add additional placed encounters...").
OK, I was pretty sure that's what you meant, but then my brain went into "Make this overly complicated" mode. Thanks, Solo.
"My love is my sword."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
shaneward

Post by shaneward »

I always make it overly complicated. I got a good start tonight! I've got the premise and some of the random encounters table.

This feels very doable for me!
Check out my little OSR Blog when you have time http://3toadstools.blogspot.ca/
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

shaneward wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:03 pm I always make it overly complicated. I got a good start tonight! I've got the premise and some of the random encounters table.

This feels very doable for me!
Great! Looking forward to seeing what you and everybody else comes up with.
"My love is my sword."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Given the recent developments, I presume this should be submitted without the OGL on the last page?
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Prowler wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:14 am Given the recent developments, I presume this should be submitted without the OGL on the last page?
It's a good question. Personally, I'd love to replace the OGL with a picture of the Trojan Horse.
But I'm not sure what our official status is until there's a finalized CC-based license announced. So unless Solo announces otherwise I was planning to keep the OGL on the version I submit.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Bumblepig wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:40 am I was planning to keep the OGL on the version I submit.

Unless your submission includes text copied from the core book (and thus, possibly SRD), I think it's safe to just apply CC BY-SA 4.0 International. Adventure modules seem to be the lowest risk for IP violation. At worst, some of your monsters may have the names changed.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

I think we should be careful though, especially with monsters. For example, my project for this contest includes owlbears which are IP. Not sure what the best way to hadle this is. Maybe wait for the BF4E to be published and see what the new monster names are... I wouldn't know.