Gothic Horror

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
PatB

Gothic Horror

Post by PatB »

Hello community! Has anyone ever developed a Gothic Horror genre supplement for Basic Fantasy? Of course I could do it myself and adapt the rules, but I feel a bit lazy today. Thanks!
chiisu81

Re: Gothic Horror

Post by chiisu81 »

Moved to General Discussion until/unless material created (at which point we'll move back to Workshop).
PatB

Post by PatB »

I understand and I apologize for the error. I am slowly becoming familiar with the forum. :-)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

:)
Attachments
imfinereallyitsallcooliswear.gif
imfinereallyitsallcooliswear.gif (2.1 MiB) Viewed 1008 times
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

PatB wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:04 pm Hello community! Has anyone ever developed a Gothic Horror genre supplement for Basic Fantasy? Of course I could do it myself and adapt the rules, but I feel a bit lazy today. Thanks!
Other than some loose talk about horror and ravenloft or similar nothing has been presented on the forum.

You'll have to face your laziness... which can be harder than face some horrors :lol: :twisted:
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
PatB

Post by PatB »

Yes, you're right! I'm going to have to roll my sleeves up! But not today. Maybe tomorrow. ;-)
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

The Demon Ennui is one of the most horrific enemies a party of adventurers could possibly face...
No matter where you go...there you are
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

To me something like "gothic horror" is flavor. I don't think there is much needed to turn normal BFRPG into a gothic horror genre. Flavor text, a focus on certain monsters, maybe add a fear save or something...but it is really more about the monsters and flavor.
What else was people thinking might be needed to do Gothic Horror?
PatB

Post by PatB »

I agree with you. If I mention the names of Ravenloft and Castlevania to my players, they'll know what to expect and should have no trouble imagining a cleric Witch Hunter, for example, and they'll guess there's going to be a lot more undeads and lycans than goblins and company. It's up to me to create a good script and find the right atmosphere.

But this campaign project will remain on hold for now, as players currently want a campaign without humans, inspired by The Dark Crystal… and I'm looking at the races Phaerim, Mushroom Men, Gnomes, etc, because they want to use them as characters… Oh well! The gothic horror campaign will be for later… Now I have to develop The Mushroom Campaign! (That should be fun.) :-p
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yes, I think an adventure would be a great way to encourage and run an atmospheric/Gothic game. A few entries in our Adventure Anthology series have certainly leaned that way. In AA3 my Halls of Finley Manor that was certainly the atmosphere/mood I was going for.