Advanced Fantasy Role-Playing Game?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Kane

Advanced Fantasy Role-Playing Game?

Post by Kane »

When it was mentioned that a lot of statistics are similar between BFRPG and the other B/X-leaning OSRs such as OSE and Labyrinth Lord, I started to look at my Advanced Labyrinth Lord and wonder 'Could I just drop this whole cloth onto BFRPG?' I know ALL characters are not quite on the same level as true 1e characters (I'm not sure, however, about the OSE Advanced Edition) but it nonetheless seems like a way to play Advanced and slightly beefier characters without switching to OSRIC or something. Has anyone tried this?
Dimirag

Re: Advanced Fantasy Role-Playing Game?

Post by Dimirag »

OSEAE its more close to B/X than to Advanced, it adds new classes, separate class and race as an option, plus optional weapon proficiencies, but hit die and most other values remain the same as in OSECE.

ALL does something similar, but you can increase thei HD as an optional rule, but everything else remains as in LL.

Now, from adding those into BFRPG, yes, you will need to change some things, but they wont be "beefier" unless you use ALL's optional HD rule...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Kane

Post by Kane »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:22 pm OSEAE its more close to B/X than to Advanced, it adds new classes, separate class and race as an option, plus optional weapon proficiencies, but hit die and most other values remain the same as in OSECE.

ALL does something similar, but you can increase thei HD as an optional rule, but everything else remains as in LL.

Now, from adding those into BFRPG, yes, you will need to change some things, but they wont be "beefier" unless you use ALL's optional HD rule...
In my experience the main thing that makes AD&D characters more effective than pre-AD&D are their special combat abilities and proficiencies. The multiple attacks, to-hit and damage bonuses for double-proficiencies, extra hits against <1HD monsters for fighters alone basically triples their utility in combat. Likewise, at higher levels, Cavaliers gain a ridiculous defensive ability against such enemies. The Barbarian gets a ridiculous suite of special abilities! And spell casters have more spells, including cantrips if you're using UA. The characters don't just have more HP (though they do), they can simply hit more, harder and have a wider swathe of abilities and options than the older D&D versions.

I am not really married to rules-lite, I just wish AD&D was less cobbled together. It's unecessarily complicated due to reliance on older edition experience and general Gygax editorial weirdness. I am also completely indifferent to 'game balance', the bizarre range of power levels and unfair statistics luck involved in picking classes is fine.

Is there another OSR that's AD&Dized aside from the obvious OSRIC and the two supplements? I know For Gold and Glory is 2e.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I named the HD rule as you've remarked wanting to play slightly beefier characters...

ALL's characters have more special abilities than those from OSEAD, but OSEAD have rules for weapon proficiencies so you could combine a little bit of both.
Kane wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:02 pm Is there another OSR that's AD&Dized aside from the obvious OSRIC and the two supplements? I know For Gold and Glory is 2e.
Most AD&D OSR games I know are more close to the original game such as Adventures Dark and Deep.
Castles and Crusades, and Hyperboria may be good options (C&C is advanced with a d20 based system). If you know portuguese, Old Dragon may be another option.

But with all this said, BFRPG is easy enough to add any "advanced" rule you wishes, there are several supplements that already do that.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Kane

Post by Kane »

I named the HD rule as you've remarked wanting to play slightly beefier characters...
And that is part of it.
AS&SH is a great game, but it's kind of a hybrid of 0e and 1e - like BX never existed and 1e was just an extension of 0e. But then some Clark Ashton Smith nerd got control of the setting. Fantastic classes, fantastic setting, but it's more of an Alternate Universe AD&D than anything based on actual 1e.
ADD is similar but with more Gygax themed stuff. Basically 1e + Dragon Magazine + UA, rebalanced and repackaged. It's not really 'how Gary would have made it' (Gary stopped working on D&D cold after the TSR stuff), but it is good for people who like AD&D but want more organizational sanity and still retain the Garyisms that a lot of Advanced BX games lack.
Kane

Post by Kane »

I wanted to update this, after having looked at some more of the game:

For the most part, I don't have any personal reason to use OSE as a whole, as opposed to BFRPG. Whatever the layout or closeness-of-cloning might be, the differences between the two are mostly irrelevant to me and not worth buying a whole set of books (especially when Chris makes BFRPG so cheap, customizable and easily available). However, I am sorely tempted to completely ignore the Races and Classes of BFRPG and just grab the OSE Advanced classes book and use them whole cloth. I know several of these classes/races (and more) are available for downloads here, but the OSE power level and mechanics seem more consistent than the variety of different free supplements. Both of the games are so similar I don't see any problem arising from simply using OSE classes as a stand-in for BFRPG's classes and races.