Which OSR/D&D versions play best with BFRPG?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Kane

Which OSR/D&D versions play best with BFRPG?

Post by Kane »

I know that practically any product for any version of D&D can be run in almost any other with a bit of fudging and maybe a few number swaps, but I am wondering which Old School systems come the closest to BFRPG in terms of game mechanics. Mostly just idle curiosity, but it may affect which systems I buy modules for. For example, I find AD&D tends to have too beefy of monsters to run it at the same level in ACKS or BFRPG, but that B/X modules work great with little adjustment. The actual closeness of the game mechanics isn't as important as the overall design/power level of the adventures, and how many snazzy extras the PCs get from their class.

How do BFRPG characters and magic scale to Labyrinth Lord or Swords & Wizardry? More or less powerful? I know my 1st Edition and OSRIC modules were a bit too much for those games (but not too bad if bumped up a couple of effective recommended levels). Which OSRs are different enough in mechanics that it makes it harder to use their supplements and modules for BFRPG?
Boggo

Re: Which OSR/D&D versions play best with BFRPG?

Post by Boggo »

Well BFRPG is basically a modernised version of B/X with 30+ years of more growth of the industry, plus bfrpg monsters are pretty much a match for B/X ones with a few changed numbers so I think that's pretty much gonna make Basic/Expert modules the go to.
No matter where you go...there you are
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

If the game emulate Basic/Expert, then it should go with no problems, if it emulates BECMI it will be largely compatible, at least lower levels.
Advanced and beyond will need tweaking, specially the higher the level and the further the edition you go.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

BFRPG plays nice with OSE and Labyrinth Lord adventures, with just a few very simple changes you can probably make on the fly.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Kane

Post by Kane »

BFRPG plays nice with OSE and Labyrinth Lord adventure
That's good, I have some modules from both.
spielemusik

Post by spielemusik »

Speaking of LL, I'd like to eventually run Stonehell using BFRPG.
Kane

Post by Kane »

spielemusik wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:17 pm Speaking of LL, I'd like to eventually run Stonehell using BFRPG.
Sounds fun. I've never played in a Megadungeon, though I've read bits of a couple. The biggest dungeon I ever went through was the Temple of Elemental Evil in Swords & Wizardry.
spielemusik

Post by spielemusik »

Kane wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:55 pm
spielemusik wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:17 pm Speaking of LL, I'd like to eventually run Stonehell using BFRPG.
Sounds fun. I've never played in a Megadungeon, though I've read bits of a couple. The biggest dungeon I ever went through was the Temple of Elemental Evil in Swords & Wizardry.
i haven't either, not something that size at least...
Shadowslayer

Post by Shadowslayer »

I'm running Stonehell currently with BF. It's pretty fun! The only thing you have to get good at is changing ac on the fly because it's meant for LL, which does descending AC.
Kane

Post by Kane »

Shadowslayer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:15 pm I'm running Stonehell currently with BF. It's pretty fun! The only thing you have to get good at is changing ac on the fly because it's meant for LL, which does descending AC.
I have a few Labyrinth Lord modules (Dungeon of the Selenian Conclave, in particular) I'd like to use with it.