About OGL, SRD and Basic Fantasy...

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
FoulPlagueGames

About OGL, SRD and Basic Fantasy...

Post by FoulPlagueGames »

Hello everyone!

I just received my copy of Gonnerman's amazing Basic Fantasy system in the mail (Amazon!) and I was wondering something:

what if I would like to use Basic Fantasy for my game/setting and eventually sell it online (pdf or otherwise). How does this work? Is it allowed? It's Chris Gonnerman's work which is originally based on another system. I am unfamiliar with judicial stuff hence the question :-)

Thanks in advance!
David / Foul Plague Games
Foul Plague Games - ttrpg games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: About OGL, SRD and Basic Fantasy...

Post by Solomoriah »

Start by reading the licenses in the back of the core rules. The OGL itself determines what you are allowed to use (almost all of the game, excepting a short list of things that mainly involves the name and the artwork), and the Product Identity License provides an exception under which you can use the name in a limited fashion.

NOW, if you create commercial items that are not shared freely with the Basic Fantasy community, you are kind of on your own. A few people here do publish such things; I think Teaman has some. Take a look at the Product Promotion thread, the only place on the forum where we allow advertising of non-freely-available products, for examples.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
FoulPlagueGames

Re: About OGL, SRD and Basic Fantasy...

Post by FoulPlagueGames »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 pm Start by reading the licenses in the back of the core rules. The OGL itself determines what you are allowed to use (almost all of the game, excepting a short list of things that mainly involves the name and the artwork), and the Product Identity License provides an exception under which you can use the name in a limited fashion.

NOW, if you create commercial items that are not shared freely with the Basic Fantasy community, you are kind of on your own. A few people here do publish such things; I think Teaman has some. Take a look at the Product Promotion thread, the only place on the forum where we allow advertising of non-freely-available products, for examples.
Cheers! This is great information Solomoriah
Foul Plague Games - ttrpg games