Video I found on Reddit on 5E/OSR cultural discussion

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rosisha

Video I found on Reddit on 5E/OSR cultural discussion

Post by Rosisha »

I'm curious to what people think. Not trying to get an edition war going, but from a cultural perspective some of the comments were interesting. I agree with their opening comment about how there is no "badwrongfun", play what you want. Just curious about other perspectives, especially from newer edition players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWxEKZHDbbU&t=35s
SmootRK

Re: Video I found on Reddit on 5E/OSR cultural discussion

Post by SmootRK »

Always find it interesting to hear the perspective of relatively "newer editions" describe the play of the older editions. So often lacking the full context, and often a 'either-or' mentality.

For instance, stating that "XP is earned thru gold instead of combat" is fundamentally wrong. While, yes you can play that way... I have never experienced a game where XP was solely acquired in either gp or combat methods. It has always been portions of each, as well as other free-hand methods by the GM/DM.

I am largely ignorant of the newest editions, having just quit and jumped off that train of constantly having to get more stuff (books and such)... so I would understand that they would view me as having a skewed perspective as well. Not a judgment on the merits of any particular game system/mechanics... I just choose to pass on buying into new games/mechanics moving forward in my life.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

I've come at it the other way. Really worked on understanding Basic Fantasy. But, in order to do that well I found it helpful to learn and borrow from the entire range of rules 0e up to 5e. Even other OSR rules. This gives me a broader perspective and a better game for my players.
I stick closely to the BF core book, using what I've learned from other systems as background detail. The case for an either or seems pointless in my version of the game.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

I watched this video just this week so funny to see someone already mention it here. It is interesting to see the compare and contrast of the different editions and I just recently got into 5e but ultimately BF is still my favorite to run and play. 5e just gets so over complicated with all the feats and special abilities and after awhile I don't feel the threat of being an adventurer in an unknown area, I just feel like an overpowered behemoth.
LleijS

Post by LleijS »

I never understood the need to say anything other than "de gustibus non est disputandum".
*shrugs*