Magic Weapons explanations

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dyl

Magic Weapons explanations

Post by Dyl »

I'm really struggling to understand some aspects of Magic Weapon usage and the rules as written.
The Charm Person description p135 in core rulebook 3rd ed. R107 mentions something similar to Staff description on p139.
I've posted in the Staff of Striking question post (sorry don't know how to link that here).
In the Charm Person description it mentions charm person spell, once per day as if by 8th level Magic User.
Charm person is a 1st level spell so how is 8th level Magic User relating to this? 1st level Magic User could use the Charm Person spell, so where does 8 come from?
The Staff paragraph discusses spell effects from the staff operate at 8th level. Is there such a thing as 8th level spells in this game? level 6 spells are the end limits in all descriptions/ Class tables etc.
I'm unable to unravel this, I'm more confused as I read further, is this reference to "8" the same thing in both rules sections? If so, what does it all mean?
SmootRK

Re: Magic Weapons explanations

Post by SmootRK »

From 1st level spell list but when effect is produced it is as if cast by 8th level MU for purposes of duration, range, or other such qualities.

This is standard methodology and likely answers your query on the Staff of Striking as well.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dyl

Re: Magic Weapons explanations

Post by Dyl »

I do believe it does answer both queries. Once again, it is my general failure to grasp some of the basics. I appreciate you clearing that up for me.