Combat with lots of monsters

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Ser_Pointy_Face

Combat with lots of monsters

Post by Ser_Pointy_Face »

Hey all! Just looking for some advice.

While my group is nowhere near a high enough level for it, I was looking through JN3-Saga of the Giants just out of curiosity and saw the "Show Down" encounter. There are so many enemies there. I understand it's meant to be an army and a final showdown. I also understand it's meant to intimidate the party. But I'm just wondering on how a GM would best run it if a fight did break out. Not from a difficulty perspective, I get it's supposed to be hard. I mean more from a gameplay perspective of keeping track of so many monsters without a single round taking ages.

My immediate thought was because the module mentions that most of the army is unorganized to have 5 or so rounds where the 24 human warriors and all the giants at the bottom of the pyramid are still trying to get ready, and even then only maybe 1d8 of troops actually arrive at the top at a time to help. This would give the party time to focus on the queen/king/consorts and save me the stress of having to bookkeep so many combatants at once. Thoughts? Or any other suggestions from anyone who's run it?