Suggestion for Core Rules formatting

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
feveredmonk

Suggestion for Core Rules formatting

Post by feveredmonk »

I'd like to submit a suggestion for the Core Rules formatting, and volunteer to assist implementing the suggestion.

My group plays with digital copies of the Core Rules (we all use the PDF) and game from our laptops. I think an artifact of how well the rules are organized, we often wonder why there aren't links in the document. For example:
  • link table of contents to the section
  • link the spell names beginning on page 15 to their corresponding spell descriptions
  • link equipment item names on page 10 to their corresponding item descriptions
This is not that big of a deal: the Core Rules are remarkably well-organized and simple. I believe, as a consequence, it becomes apparent when play slows or stop to look something up. It's a good problem to have, in that regard.

It looks like the .odt file uses sections more than headings, though, which could limit hyperlinking, though.

Any thoughts on this? Too much effort to reformat the .odt document with headings?
Bumblepig

Re: Suggestion for Core Rules formatting

Post by Bumblepig »

I don't play from the PDF, but I've also run into difficulties in creating customized content for my own table. Like you say though, it's not a critical issue.

But since you're 100% digital, have you tried using the SRD? I didn't even realize it existed until after I'd been playing BF for some time.
https://www.basicfantasy.org/srd/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

You can create the hyperlinks on the .pdf, working with the .odt may lead to madness.
Problem with the .pdf is that everytime there is a new release the new .pdf must be edited.

If you are willing to work with any of the files go ahead and upload the file on the corresponding thread, the forum works more in a DIY rather than working by suggestions.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

Bumblepig wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:38 am But since you're 100% digital, have you tried using the SRD? I didn't even realize it existed until after I'd been playing BF for some time.
https://www.basicfantasy.org/srd/
Wow. I didn't know there was an SRD. I just took a look and like it. That's exactly what we looking for. Thanks.
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

Dimirag wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:16 am If you are willing to work with any of the files go ahead and upload the file on the corresponding thread, the forum works more in a DIY rather than working by suggestions.
I'm assuming the .odt file is the source, and I'm hesitant to add that by creating headings where they don't seem to exist, judging by the styles I see in LibreOffice, though it could be I don't understand headings in the context of sections.

In either case, I think this problem may be solved with SRD, as Bumblepig mentioned above.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Cool! I didn't know about the SRD either, but now it's bookmarked. 8-)
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

Beowulf wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:29 am Cool! I didn't know about the SRD either, but now it's bookmarked. 8-)
Same. But Firefox can also download it as a complete webpage for offline viewing post apocalypse :D
therealt

Post by therealt »

Any idea of the update frequency for the SRD site?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

About as fast as the Core Rules themselves.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

feveredmonk wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:51 am
Beowulf wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:29 am Cool! I didn't know about the SRD either, but now it's bookmarked. 8-)
Same. But Firefox can also download it as a complete webpage for offline viewing post apocalypse :D
Nice! I'd forgotten that web pages can be downloaded, handy to have an IT guy around. 8-) I'll have to do that now!