I Find Dungeon Exploration Movement Rates To Be A Tad Silly.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: I Find Dungeon Exploration Movement Rates To Be A Tad Silly.

Post by Solomoriah »

Hah. To clarify, I didn't "design" it that way; the movement rates given are historically accurate mimicry of the World's Most Popular Role-Playing Game in its 1981 incarnation. Or in other words, it's always been done that way.

And if you find it silly, perhaps it's not the game for you.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Psionic-Tribute

Post by Psionic-Tribute »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:17 am Hah. To clarify, I didn't "design" it that way; the movement rates given are historically accurate mimicry of the World's Most Popular Role-Playing Game in its 1981 incarnation. Or in other words, it's always been done that way.

And if you find it silly, perhaps it's not the game for you.
Yes, the reason you "designed" it or wrote it that way, whatever linguistic way you want to skin that cat, regardless you did it cause of tradition, which is fine, but it doesn't exactly fit what I'm looking for.

Nor do I need to throw out a baby with bath water because one respect of the rules I don't agree with, but whatever you say.

on that note since I have your attention and I just spotted a weird sort of wording quirk I wanted to ask about. the phrase "per level of ability" appears exactly three times in in the book, all of them in context to spells. Polymorph-self, Neutralize Poison, and Charm person. is this the same as "per caster level" and just a synonym? or is this something else?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The two phrases are interchangeable.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Silly is an ego-bruising word that is best not used to qualify divergent opinions.

Consider using words like unrealistic, impractical, odd, etc..
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Indeed. Using "silly" to describe basically anything in the Core Rules is a sure-fire way to make the author cranky.
artikid

Post by artikid »

I found this to be a non-problem for me.
The game has been laid out to work in big easy chunks, I find it is a simple and useful abstraction.
Like spell slots and levels and hit dice.
I think nitpicking over minutes of time and feet of movement for the sake of realism is not worth the effort.
To me it sounds like people haggling over copper piecess to buy a piece of rope.
But if you are the DM, your table, your rules.

(EDIT: About moving in explored parts of the dungeon.
Most of the times I just ask the players where they want to go, roll for eventual random encounters and there you are.
I do not restart the exploration procedure unless I have good reasons to, like some new monsters have dug up a lair in the dungeon, and then only if the PCs actually move near it.)