Components for Spells and such?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Spiralbound

Components for Spells and such?

Post by Spiralbound »

Just to confirm, I've looked through the core rules and various supplements and I couldn't find any requirement for or even mention of spell components for spells. Is this correct or did I just not see it? If not, what are peoples' opinions on this? Needless complication? Great idea? Boring drudgery? Amazing plot device? Just wondering what the rationale/motivation was for not having that in the game.
SmootRK

Re: Components for Spells and such?

Post by SmootRK »

In my games, it is an assumed thing. Over time, the MU character gathers bits of this and that which allows spell casting to occur. Really more of a role-play function to describe the intricacies of casting.

That said, when it comes to magical item creation... I do try to build in requirements to the process, mostly because these are bigger deal things and the process also makes for seeds for additional adventuring hooks.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

SmootRK wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:05 pm In my games, it is an assumed thing. Over time, the MU character gathers bits of this and that which allows spell casting to occur. Really more of a role-play function to describe the intricacies of casting.

That said, when it comes to magical item creation... I do try to build in requirements to the process, mostly because these are bigger deal things and the process also makes for seeds for additional adventuring hooks.
I kind of do the same thing, except that I really want them to describe what they use for the spell and then I describe any special effects coming from that material in the spell (for instance, one of my players used a patch of herbs to cast light. The light had a green glow). I don't really have them as a requirement, but my players enjoy using random items in spells.
I even had a player in my last session cast EMP with a sapphire!
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

My rules:
Used while spellcasting: Bonus on some spell aspect.
Used while creating scrolls/researching spells: bonus on the % chance of success (I do not charge gp).
Creating magical items: Obligatory requirement.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The coverage target game had no such rule or requirement. So neither do we.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

I've never played an actual game in which spell components were used or mentioned.
I had 3 different groups in the 1st edition era and played in several tournaments.
The vocal and somatic parts came into plays a few times, of course, but it's not like there are a lot of spells without those.
Some spells had expensive components which were meant to restrict their usage.
It's much easier to limit certain spells by placing them only on scrolls.