Hello I just got Basic Fantasy and have a question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Alkibiades

General AD&D 2nd. to BFRPG conversion questions

Post by Alkibiades »

Being a fresh newbie to BFRPG who just ordered all available books on amazon just yesterday, I found out so far that there is obviously just one aspect to convert from AD&D 2nd to BFRPG, which is BFRPG AC = 20 - ad&d AC.

As far as I see it, spells are interchangably between both system, saving throws are the same. Or do I have to consider anything when taking AD&D 2nd spells into BFRPG?

And what is a bout spell levels? In AD&D, Clerics have 7 spell levels and Wizards even 9. I've found an the New Spells optional rule, which expands casters to 7th level. That would cover all 7 cleric spell levels but there are still 8th and 9th level wizard spells missing. Could I generally use the AD&D wizards spell progression instead or is there maybe already an optional rule for those levels?
Karlat

Hello I just got Basic Fantasy and have a question

Post by Karlat »

Hello I just got Basic Fantasy and have a question.
Is there already a optional download for adding the missing spell levels back into the game?
I think I saw there was a option for one of them added back in but I can't seem to find the rest.
I get that some people do not mind the lower spell levels only and that's fine. I think my group would have a fit about it from at least the two players who always play casters. It's already a tough sell for a few of them because they started playing with Pathfinder and 5E. If I can I do not want to throw up more reasons for them to cut and run lol.

Thanks!
Dimirag

Re: Hello I just got Basic Fantasy and have a question

Post by Dimirag »

Search for the Libram Magica supplement, it contains spells above the core levels along with new one for each level.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Karlat

Post by Karlat »

Thank you!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

There's also the New Spells and Magic-User Options supplements.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: General AD&D 2nd. to BFRPG conversion questions

Post by Solomoriah »

2E era rules are "inflated" compared to BFRPG. Low level materials will work okay, but the higher the level, the more overpowered 2E materials will be compared to BFRPG.

Specific examples would help us help you more.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

And to be clear, there are no "missing" spell levels. Much as Gandalf is never late or early, but arrives when he means to do so, so too do the Core Rules contain exactly what I intended, no more, no less... :D
Seven

Post by Seven »

Maybe the short answer is that BFRPG is loosely based on the basic and expert D&D rules, not AD&D.

The higher level spells are not necessary missing, but they are not something beginning players would have access to.
Dimirag

Re: General AD&D 2nd. to BFRPG conversion questions

Post by Dimirag »

There are no "missing spells" as Solo said in other post, those extra spell levels where added by collaborators.

Regarding Saving Throws, there could be some difference in categories and values. Whenever possible use the tables, spells, and monsters from BF rules and supplements.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Spells higher than those given in the game are broadly unnecessary, to be honest. I find none of them compelling. The good stuff is from 3rd to 5th levels, in my opinion. But there are those who like that stuff, and it's contemporary to our target game.