Solo play in BFRPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rookie555

Solo play in BFRPG

Post by Rookie555 »

So far I've played a lot Basic fantasy solo and even before the idea of doing it solitaire in group play. I had some fun adventures and some meh ones. It wasn't easy when I played solo since I was undecided by oracle systems from Mythic, DM Yourself (I think i bought it I'm not sure), OSR Solo (currently have). All I had us a yes/no table and that's it. I let myself do the rest of work and build story myself. So now I'm just doing small adventures that don't go overboard to expand itself, but I end up doing it either way. I wouldn't be sure if most of those who experimented and have gone through the solo experience felt a certain way like this. What would be your thoughts on it?
johndice

Re: Solo play in BFRPG

Post by johndice »

I find when using oracles, or GM emulators for that matter, limiting myself works the best for me. For example, funneling your questions around one particular subject with no more than three questions, and finally interpreting the result.

Also, I really like thinking in game loops when solo playing, for example like Mythic does in its scene structuring. This creates a nice beginning, middle and end to the building blocks you are creating for your story as you play.

Cheerio
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

I don't even bother with story and emulators. I like just getting straight to the action without too much drama B.S. getting in the way these days :) however, I do really enjoy the random story lines that tend to develop while playing the Hexcrawl Adventures style game I mostly run.
For instance, I had randomly rolled a domain level event and got "monster attacks". I rolled a Basalisk. So in the background of my adventures the town was periodically being attacked. My 1st level party avoided it though. Until one visit to town we heard of a rumour that the Basalisk lair contained some magical treasure (rolled randomly and got a "Ring of Remedies"). I figured that was cool but still not worth facing that Basalisk over. I soon after lost a party member (to a randomly generated poison gas trap lol) and needed to recruit a 4th party member in town. I rolled up a peasant dyer who has was far-sighted lol what good is a dyer who can't see anything closer than 1y away? I laughed at how hopeless this new recruit was and then it donned on me: He must have been recently injured somehow and lost part of his sight and now he can't make a living any longer dying cloth. So out of desperation he joins the adventurers. And he's probably heard the rumours as well that a legendary ring with healing properties lies in the beasts lair. So he is willing to risk his miserable existance just to get a chance at being healed by that ring. So with the new recruit, we geared up and headed out to face the basalisk.
I love how that story developed just by playing through and generating the interesting stuff and not getting bogged down in asking an oracle questions and then trying to answer them myself. Feels more organic to me.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

CptClyde wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:10 pm I love how that story developed just by playing through and generating the interesting stuff and not getting bogged down in asking an oracle questions and then trying to answer them myself. Feels more organic to me.
I wonder this because my own thoughts were that if I want to just go through a dungeon crawl. I let randomization do the work and not think too much with the oracle. it would be that I just make a group of adventurers and start from there or have a character at 2nd-3rd level and play the single person. It is more so I ask myself how much do I prep and play what I have made or how open do I make the game and not add too much details.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

So far my wilderness map. So im unsure what next if I got details of the important places (Rovan, Belltonia and Elkrok). I wonder if I start in the thick of action and send out 1st level PCs in this world
Attachments
20210629_080157.jpg
20210629_080157.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 5826 times
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

welp never mind I gave up on the idea :? and now I swirl around
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

Ok I got a dungeon made called 'Hall of the lords' and got my squishy 1st level PCs going into the place
Attachments
20210704_184945.jpg
20210704_184945.jpg (4.02 MiB) Viewed 5693 times
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

This looks cool. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

hmm welp maybe prepping adventures work for me. So far I lost 3 folks of my party in the dungeon (1-2 hp sucks lol) Though decided my elf needed to back away from the goblins. After that men-at-arms company is taking the mission of stopping the disturbance in the burial room. So another adventure awaits. I also did use my oracle rulebook still, but mostly minimal rolls made.
PerformanceChecks

Post by PerformanceChecks »

CptClyde wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:10 pm I don't even bother with story and emulators. I like just getting straight to the action without too much drama B.S. getting in the way these days :) however, I do really enjoy the random story lines that tend to develop while playing the Hexcrawl Adventures style game I mostly run.
For instance, I had randomly rolled a domain level event and got "monster attacks". I rolled a Basalisk. So in the background of my adventures the town was periodically being attacked. My 1st level party avoided it though. Until one visit to town we heard of a rumour that the Basalisk lair contained some magical treasure (rolled randomly and got a "Ring of Remedies"). I figured that was cool but still not worth facing that Basalisk over. I soon after lost a party member (to a randomly generated poison gas trap lol) and needed to recruit a 4th party member in town. I rolled up a peasant dyer who has was far-sighted lol what good is a dyer who can't see anything closer than 1y away? I laughed at how hopeless this new recruit was and then it donned on me: He must have been recently injured somehow and lost part of his sight and now he can't make a living any longer dying cloth. So out of desperation he joins the adventurers. And he's probably heard the rumours as well that a legendary ring with healing properties lies in the beasts lair. So he is willing to risk his miserable existance just to get a chance at being healed by that ring. So with the new recruit, we geared up and headed out to face the basalisk.
I love how that story developed just by playing through and generating the interesting stuff and not getting bogged down in asking an oracle questions and then trying to answer them myself. Feels more organic to me.
which random tables/generators did you use?