Using Basic Fantasy core rules for other Genre

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
GrimlinJoe

Using Basic Fantasy core rules for other Genre

Post by GrimlinJoe »

So recently it came up that a few of my players were interested in playing a Star Wars style RPG. I did some digging and found a few but some required a bit of learning curve compared to the OSR style they are used to. This got me thinking if it is possible to use Basic Fantasy core rules as a template to reskin to be used as a hack for Star Wars. The big hang up would be dealing with force powers.

I know of Star Wars Galactic Adventures that is on Wizardawn and that looks like a great system with a good OSR feel but wasn't floating over well with the players due to limited accessibility.

I also looked into West End Games Star Wars D6 system and that is also fairly simple but sadly my players have become very rooted in the core rules and style of Basic Fantasy.

Not sure if anyone has done a homebrew hack of BF to play more like a universal system for other genres but just wanted to see if anyone else has attempted something similar?
GrimlinJoe

Re: Using Basic Fantasy core rules for other Genre

Post by GrimlinJoe »

I did find that post when searching yesterday and that got me really excited. Not sure how complete it was.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Not very, I'm afraid.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
YYZombraire

Post by YYZombraire »

Have you looked at White Star (https://barrelridergames.wordpress.com/white-star/)? Not BFRPG, but it's a very Star Warsy version of Swords & Wizardry White Box. Probably lots of stuff in it you could use.
Nawe

Post by Nawe »

I think my question fits in this topic so, a kind of low/dark fantasy setting could fit with the core rules? I've got an idea in my mind and wanted to know before i dive into writting
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The only person who can judge whether a particular rule set will work with your idea is you, I'm afraid.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Nawe wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:33 am I think my question fits in this topic so, a kind of low/dark fantasy setting could fit with the core rules? I've got an idea in my mind and wanted to know before i dive into writting
It will hugely depend on your taste and what yo expect as a result. It may work, but it may take lots of modification depending on the game style or setting.

In the end, as Solo said, it will up to you.

My suggestion, make a list of important elements system-wise your game will need, then check that list against BFRPG to see how much it fits, and if it does not, how far it stands from what you want to create.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Nawe

Post by Nawe »

Thanks for the advices, i'll do that and see if it's viable